Tuesday, 18 September 2012

Building a Brand Community Online

It is an extremely important quality in our high tech and impatient world for a business to build a community online to promote their product or service.


It is about building a relationship. This relationship with your consumers can be measured through brand equity.

What is a brand community? It is a tool for consumers to provide their own feedback. It is useful for both marketers and other consumers. It is an opportunity for publicity, and whether good or bad - well, that's how the saying goes. It may be cliché, but an online brand community really will create a brand image among young consumers and the growing number of internet users today.

The internet is a very judgemental place. Consumers are already rather uncomfortable making purchases or purchase decisions online. This is why it is important for a business to create a powerful brand image, and there is little to nothing that can make up for lack thereof in today's high tech world.

Not only important online, brand communities are what bring a group of people together. For example, Marvel comics. There is a large database of Marvel fans and opportunities for them to connect on the Marvel fan website. There are huge comic book conventions centred around Marvel and many other comic book brands. Communities such as these provide a huge competitive advantage for these companies. Consumers can interact around the brand and share their opinions and ideas. Many of these consumers also connect online.

In order to build a strong brand community, one must:
  • provide a positive customer experience - this means easy accessibility, positive imagery, and smooth design, and must provide consumer experiences
  • specify your target market - there are many ways different demographics look at your online community, and different ways they form opinions while doing so
  • establish your online personality - this must be fluent with your brand image
  • utilize the tools that are out there - many of us already know the pros of websites such as Facebook, YouTube, and Twitter
In following what the consumer wants online, a business already has a strong lead in marketing to today's high pace world.

16 comments:

  1. Very well put, I agree that brand community is an "extremely important quality in our high tech and impatient world." At this current time failure to build up your brand community most likely will result in consumers/potential consumers, not being able to take the brand seriously, or even well established brands may be mistaken for new/unestablished brands entering the market for lack there of an online presence.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Getting a brand community is a essential part of maintaining a place in the highly competitive world of e-commerce. It is a difficult job for most new businesses, attempting to gain awareness and trust at the same time without many connections to help. As you stated "The internet is a very judge mental place" , and it definitely would be a barrier for anyone entering the market.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never realized there was a brand community for Marvel fans. A comic convention. I know of a young man whose dream it is to have a comic book store of his own one day. I will tell him about this community he can join without leaving home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done Sarah,

    I had no idea about the community in this depth. I understand joining mailing lists, and subscribing to forums, but I had no idea that companies went into that much work to generate and maintain such a thing. I do believe you hit the concept spot on with the internet being very judge mental. I find myself criticizing other websites really harshly sometimes, and I don't know the first thing about putting one together. I also have a hard time making online purchases sometimes especially when it comes to clothes. Its hard to know if what your purchasing feels good unless your able to find it in a store first and then order the exact model number online at a later time.

    I don't think I will be joining any Marvel comic community, but I may look into the Montreal Canadiens one if and when hockey comes back.

    Thank you
    Donald

    ReplyDelete
  5. I believe you have hit the nail on the head with this post, in highlighting the flippancy and apprehension of some web users.

    Overexposure to ads and distrust of external entities that could harm them causes consumers to shy away from accepting any involvement in any online affiliation that they don't trust. Marvel is smart in allowing the consumers to help create their own community and build a grassroots network of comic fans with similar and mutual interests.
    It seems to come down to comfort, value, and ease for the user, and your 'how-to' guide articulated these requirements laconically.

    ReplyDelete

  6. I agree how you mention the fact that in order to have trust with potential costumers there has to be a great BRAND IMAGE. No one would purchase items or sing up for a service if there is not a GOOD BRAND IMAGE.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great job Sarah!
    You definatly said it right, by a company creating a brand image; they are minimizing brand parity amongst other competitors companies. By creating a great brand image that may lead to many loyal customers and a wide reach of brand awareness which may presumably lead to a successful company.
    Excellent work!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I never really considered the thought of an online brand community. As any community it is very important to be involved with your consumers! Great insight into this topic! Very imformative.
    -Tyson

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Sarah

    Great work on the blog . You have posted some very quality information about brand community and how important it is to have a strong brand image to do well in the market.
    The use of social media would be a very effective benefit to companies to work with .

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sarah,

    I agree with Kellen in that social media would be a good avenue to start and nurture a business' brand community. Having a positive brand image is one of the most important aspects of marketing a product, and have a brand community to promote this image, as you said, is essential!

    Thanks for the informative post,
    Jordan

    ReplyDelete
  11. Online Brand Communities is a great device since some products are being moved online. Take your marvel example for dissection; videos now being online let users watch their favourite marvel character and learn about them before, during and after watching and engage that brand. Even sharing among consumers about their thoughts on message boards; such as IMDB for example, which carries weight.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome job,

    Brand image is really important so I agree to attract and get potential costumers you need to have that strong and good brand image.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I also agree, brand image is huge. Not to sound materialistic but I am a sucker for brand image, aren't we all? I always find things with a more prestigious brand image to pop our at me. Also on the other hand I find things with a eco-friendly, socially responsible brand image, such as TOMS to be attractive to. Image is everything! Good post, lots of good info.

    ReplyDelete
  14. "The internet is a very judgmental place" this couldn't be more true, just look at the YouTube comments that people post on people's videos in that community. No punches are pulled, people will say what they feel and do what they want behind the comfort of a keyboard. I believe that that is why brand communities are so important. It's a bunch of people with common interests in one place.

    Good post!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This post is something that is completely true and I also agree with 100%. overall a really good blog expressing the importance of the public voicing their opinion on the web. Negative or positive thoughts can be posted for the community to view, it can be useful for reviews and informatiion of said topic
    Goood job
    jake

    ReplyDelete
  16. This was a great blog with informative information. I agree that a strong brand image and loyal customers go hand in hand. Without a strong brand image, none of these major brands such as Nike, Adidas etc would be around today. The endorsements really help them and we look up to these endorsements. That creates a great brand image for the company.

    Raffi Kaloustian

    ReplyDelete