Email Marketing
The “Granddaddy”
Email marketing is everywhere. You can’t check you
email nowadays without seeing at least one random email from some company you
may or may not have heard of. In our rapidly advancing and ever-changing world,
email marketing is one of the fastest growing forms of Internet marketing. It
has the capacity to reach a very large number of people, quickly and
frequently. On top of the recency and frequency advantages of the email
marketing, it is also a less expensive form of advertising/marketing in
comparison to other media. Marketing emails are sent for a variety of reasons;
advertising, lead generations, donation solicitations, or even to convince
people to buy something immediately are only a few examples. However, the most
common reason for using email marketing is to establish, build or maintain
customer relationships. These reasons and benefits are what have led to email
marketing being dubbed “the granddaddy” of Internet marketing.
Types
of Email Marketing
There are many different types of email marketing, but
we’ll focus on grouping them all into two main categories; transactional emails
and direct emails.
Transactional Emails
These are emails that are usually sent to someone
based on some sort of interaction with the company. When you purchase something
at a retailer and they ask for your email, or filling customer surveys, buying
products online, all of those situations will trigger transactional emails to
be sent to your email account. Transactional emails are meant to convey
information to the customer regarding the action in that caused the email to be
sent to them in the first place, which is the primary reason why these types of
emails have a very high open rate, 51.9%, compared to other forms.
Direct Emails
Direct emails are sent for the sole purpose of
communicating a promotional message. These messages are usually sent to
addresses that are acquired through a company collecting a list of emails of
prospects. Sometimes this list can be rented from a service company as well.
Conclusion
In closing, email marketing is the fastest growing
form of Internet marketing around because of its reach, frequency capabilities
and it’s potential to be relatively inexpensive in comparison. Numerous reasons
allow for a virtually unlimited amount of emails to be sent to an unprecedented
amount or people. The end of this post features a video about the effectiveness
of email marketing. Thanks for reading!

Alright Dustin,
ReplyDeleteGood work on producing a clearly presented and informative blog, and nice choice of video to further expand on your post. Im wondering what your personal take is on email marketing, as the emails I might receive from different comapnies or organisation I 99.9% of the time delete without even opening them. Did the information you researched surprise you in anyway.
Cheers
John
Good job Dustin,
ReplyDeleteQuite the informative blog I must say. I wish I would have read this earlier than today as we just discussed this in last class. I feel I would have had more information and could have been better prepared for that class had I of read your blog. I was also wondering about these emails as I have my privacy settings quite high, and often even if I subscribe to a direct email list such as 'Bass Pro Shop', I often have to go through my Spam mail first to put it on a "not junk" list before it is sent to my inbox.
I also did enjoy that video, good choice!
Thank you
Donald
Great Blog!
ReplyDeleteI agree with both it's reach and frequency capabilities, email marketing is definitely the best for of internet marketing. I myself prefer a personalized advertisement sent to my email then a generic flyer put in my mail.
100 Percent true
ReplyDeleteEmail marketing is the fastest growing form of internet marketing due to its reach to the public. I liked how you differentiated transactional email from Direct and also gave us a conclusion. Is good to know what type of email is good to send regarding the reason/ purpose in order to have a positive result
Great job Dustin!
ReplyDeleteEmail marketing definatly has the best and fastest reach for the public. With the vast majority of people starting to get into technology, there are more and more people starting to use email marketing so the growth is huge. I found the video to have a lot of great information as well.
Great blog!
Great synopsis Dustin.
ReplyDeleteI appreciated the breakdown into transactional and direct email marketing, it really simplified the concept for a reader's eyes.
How do you think email marketers are getting better, more technologically saavy? How will they combat spam filters? I would bet that they are perfecting their delivery as we speak.
Good Post Dustin,
ReplyDeleteGood definitions between the two types of email marketing.
It is good to know when marketers should use each type of email marketing to reach out to their target market!
Well done,
ReplyDeleteEmail marketings reach and grow is not only the fastest growing but provides the best reach for the public, and with the information you provided supported this. Also I liked the fact that you took the time to breakdown transactional email versus direct email.
Dustin,
ReplyDeleteI agree with you in saying the reach and frequency of email marketing to be an attractive avenue to promote or maintain business. For me personally, they usually do not have a high open rate, but I believe having such a program is becoming an essential part of a marketing campaign.
Great work!
-Jordan
Great blog dustin
ReplyDeleteCouldnt agree more about email marketing reaches a mass amount of people and it does so fast, making ti a very attractive form of marketing for many business. To boot it is fairly inexpensive compared to any other form of marketing making it even more attractive, well done dustin very informative.
Great job
Em
Hello Dustin
ReplyDeleteVery well done post
I enjoyed your comment "Numerous reasons allow for a virtually unlimited amount of emails to be sent to an unprecedented amount or people". This is so true, it is quite effective and that is why it is the fastest growing. Just dont give your email to any companies if you dont want spam lol.
Thanks so much for the info
David
Transaction emails is where it’s at now. Sites like wagjag offers and buying on the spot are huge. Plus, since you can just check email by your phone on the go and even buy on the go, it’s exploding with revenue.
ReplyDeleteHello dustin, Great Job! I feel this was a topic everyone can directly relate to. Email marketing is huge now, almost everywhere you go some company wants your email. The only problem I have with it is that some companies send so many emails people become annoyed and just ignore them or place them in the junk folder. However, something must be working for companies to continue to use this method.
ReplyDeleteThanks
Daniel
Email marketing is a great way to get in touch with potential consumers, unfortunately, like John I to delete half of the emails I receive. These emails are seen as "junk email" and I personally think it puts a bad reputation out there for whichever company it is that is sending you those emails. Just like it is important to have a good website in order to attract your customers, I feel as if emails need to be important in order to become more attractive to its recipients.
ReplyDeleteAll in all, great, informative post Dustin!
Raffi Kaloustian
Great information. I however feel that e-mail marketing is not efficient. A large amount of people will not bother to open an e-mail unless it is business related or personal. It's difficult to tell which is honest marketing or just spam. If people are going to respond to a media outlet, it's going to be something you can trust and depend on. E-mail is not a form of communication that entitles that since people can receive from about 5 to 10 a day, and at that point it just become annoying and in their delete box.
ReplyDeleteHeyDustin
ReplyDeleteI can deffinately see why email marketing is getting to be so popular. Every website requires or offers a elist signup for the online webpage for the company, providing discounts or letting you know a head of time when something is released and giving you the option to reserve it or put a down payment. They take your info and create a custom home page for you recommending items and products that would be of interest to you. They can also offer similar products to ones that you have purchased before on the site.
Email marketing reaches out to a wide audience of consumers and does a good job of updating you with current events or products on the site or in the store.\
Jake
I liked reading this post. It really opened my eyes to the emails I receive from businesses. You did a great job here differentiating the different types of email marketing.
ReplyDelete-Joe