Tuesday, 16 October 2012

Organic vs Paid search

what is organic search?

      Most search engines offer two types of search results to their customers: paid results (typically at the top or on the side) and organic or natural results. While paid results can get your Web site to rank higher for a specific keyword phrase (because you've paid to be high in the results), most customers consider these results to be little better than advertising, and will often skip over them in favor of the natural or organic search results.

 Advantages:

     The advantage of organic search marketing is that organic listings are more trusted by searchers than paid listings. Most searchers are savvy enough to realize that Google has a say in what shows up in their searches, and that paid listings are more about who has the deeper pocket. Top organic positions also attract 50% more attention than top paid positions.

Disadvantages:

The disadvantage of organic search is that it can be tricky to get top rankings if you don’t know what you are doing. Search engine optimization services base their entire businesses around raising their clients’ rankings. SEO services are highly valued by companies because a top position in Google for a competitive keyword can skyrocket leads and sales. These companies improve their clients’ rankings via proper search engine optimization. Search engine optimization is the act of optimizing a website to be more search engine friendly and increasing its perceived importance in the eyes of a search engine. Google uses complex ranking algorithms to determine which websites will be listed nearest the top of the page. If your website isn’t properly optimized, you could be losing out.



 
 
what is paid search?
 
A type of contextual advertising where Web site owners pay an advertising fee, usually based on click-throughs or ad views to have their Web site search results shown in top placement on  search engine result pages. Some search engines will make it easy for users to determine which search results are natural and which are paid, while others will mix the results making it more difficult for users to determine which are the paid search results. Also called sponsored search.
 
Advantages:
 
The advantage of paying per click is that you have complete control over which terms your website will be listed under– in real time. This is especially useful when you aren’t sure about which keywords yield the highest returns. Using PPC management tools, you can easily determine which keywords are working best for your website
 
Simple chart organic vs paid search
 

 
Advantages
Disadvantages
Organic
·         Click through
·         Trust
·         Cost
·         Effort
·         Time
·         Volatility
Paid
·         Immediate
·         Scalable
·         Measurable
·         Temporary
·         Bid wars

so in conclusion
 
The right choice for your website depends on your particular needs and desires. Most websites benefit most from utilizing a combination of these two approaches. Using PPC marketing can help you quickly identify your best performing keywords, while implementing a longer-term SEO strategy will increase your chances of ranking well in the organic listings.
 
And here a video from google-you tube for advertising which is preety much paid search. and its very interesting video too.
 
 


26 comments:

  1. Wow, that was very succinct - very informative. I really like how you laid out paid vs. organic search in a chart to highlight in bullet points the advantages and disadvantages - clearly defining them individually through their pros and cons. I do agree when you state that most people scroll beyond paid search results because they almost seem like companies who have monetarily butt to the front of the line. Although, perhaps some may give them credit for their financial ability to do so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing. I thought organic was related to food items. Now it is a search engine. The whole topic is new to me. I really found this subject to be in perfect timing for our IMC assignment. In this way we can include a daily budget to keep our company on page one instead of buried on page four. Also to be able to decide on our reach and advertise locally is a great plus. Terrific.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you marianne. and yes i also like this way of advertising.

      Delete
  3. Hey Shaffy,
    Good work mate, a really well written and informative post so good work on this one. Whenever using Google before I had no idea why there were search results in a "ad's" box at the very top of the screen and how the results down the right side of the page came to be there, but now it all makes sense. It's amazing to think of how much money is being spent by companies using Google to advertise, but can not place a result on either page 1 or 2 and so I would imagine very rarely get seen. I must admit it is very very rare for me to have to go to page 2 of the Google results to find what Im looking for, and I havent ever used a paid search result either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you john, i am glad that you like my post,

      Delete
  4. Hey Shaffy

    Great work, I never really understood the difference between organic and paid. I will admit I fall into the category you spoke of that skips over the paid searches and went to the organic ones. Job well done and thanks for thoroughly explaining this topic crystal clear!

    Donald

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks donald, i appritiate for your words.

      shaffy

      Delete
  5. Hey Shaffy,
    Great post, I did not previously realize the different terms used to describe the two result sections. I would have previously just referred to the top of the page as the "ad" section, to john's point. Thanks for clarifying the two, very informative, and great video.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job Shaffy
    You did a really good job at distinguishing the advantages and disadvantages on paid and organic search. The visuals really helped to understand where to find paid and organic search results on the internet and I think you did a great job with constructing lists of advantages and disadvantaged for both.
    Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like how you did the advantages and disadvantages for the Organgic search as well as the Organic and Paid advantages and disadvantages. It was very insightful as well as it is easier to understand when you break it down the way you did.
    Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Shaffy ,
    Up until this class I would have to say that i was one of those people who thought that the top searches we advertising. I rarely ever click on them! Your pictures give a good understanding of just what ads are organic and which are paid. I'm glad that you added that your blog. |
    Thanks a lot for posting !

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Shaffy,
    Once again I am going through your Blog to help me with my IMC assignment. The one about Google Adwords and how to conduct an on-line search. I remembered you had all this information on your Blog. So thank you once again as this Blog has helped me in my understanding about Google Ad words and organic search.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great job,

    Lots of great information, I learned a lot from reading your blog. I wasn't expecting the top organic positions to attract 50% more attention than top paid positions to be that high.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Shaffy
    Great job, very interesting and helpful. I have a better understanding of organic searches now. I liked your pic of which searches are organic vs paid. I never really trusted the paid searches and now I know why.
    Thanks so much
    David

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice blog!

    I found it both interesting and very informative. I definitely now have a better understanding of when it comes to paid vs organics searches.

    Thanks!

    Andrew

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello shaffy,

    Great blog, Interesting video as well. Also, I liked how you showed a specific example of your topic. I think that the picture example really helped explain your topic. overall very informative blog.

    Thanks
    Daniel

    ReplyDelete
  14. First of all, great post. Very well broken down. I prefer organic searches. I’ve personally only clicked on one paid search ever on google. It’s more trust worthy in my opinion. Organics require time, content and multiple clicks to be on top. This to me makes them well worth clicking on.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Two kinds of searches you say? That makes sense now. I always wondered why there were searches in a yellow box at the top of Google.

    Nice post Shaffy!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Shaffy,
    I really enjoyed this blog. I wasn't even aware of the difference between organic and paid. I will now be on the look out of organic websites when searching and I'm definitely more influenced to use those sites instead.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Shaffy,
    I never knew there were two types of searches: organic and paid. After reading this post thought, I have a thorough understanding of what it actually is. I loved how you organized your ideas, it led to better understanding. The advantages and disadvantages were very well laid out.

    Kellen Cummings

    ReplyDelete
  18. Shaffy,

    In all honesty I always overlook the paid searches when searching topics online. I never quite understood what they were and thought they were simply unimportant to my search. Now you have cleared up the issue for me.

    Thanks for the informative post,

    Raffi Kaloustian

    ReplyDelete
  19. I didnt understand why there were always those searches in the yellow box above the other results on google. Now I understand companies pay to have those put there.

    Good post Shaffy.
    -Joe

    ReplyDelete
  20. Good Job

    I lkie the visuals you used on your Blog it hellp have a more clear understanding. I like how you incorporateided a video on your Blog.

    Thanks Now I have a greater understanding of Organic Vs Paid

    ReplyDelete
  21. The blog is so successful because of the visuals good job shaffy, this is a great blog in total though. I had no idea about the difference between organic and paid. I liked how you seperated it into a chart format, very easy to understand and I now have a good grasp on the overal subject
    thanks bud

    Jake

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great blog post Shaffy! I liked how you laid out the advantages and disadvantages of organic and paid search. Personally, I believe a combination of both is needed in order for the website to be successful.
    Huy

    ReplyDelete