Wednesday, 10 October 2012

Pinterest Social Media Profile




A Marketers Guide to Pinterest:
Personal Pinterest:  http://pinterest.com/justisse/

What is Pinterest?

Pinterest is a social networking platform that is used for personal blogging of current interest like recipes, apparel, and travel destinations. Each pin has a specific bookmark so members can view where the product can be found or bought.However there are alternative uses for this website like advertising and promoting businesses to create brand awareness. Many businesses will hire a “promoter” or “spokesperson” to advertise their products on the website.  A promoter may get paid to “pin” links from a website to their Pinterest board for followers to view their page with pictures of new products or video links that lead back to the businesses page.  

Visuals are detrimental to a “pinners” page if the picture isn’t appealing enough it could bring down the chances of driving traffic to specific boards. If the picture is visually appealing to the pinners current followers the chances are higher of a follower being introduced to more products and how they could be used by “repining”. When a post is “repined” the user may repost the same link that is on another user’s page to one of their personal boards similar to a twitter “retweet”.
Repining in my opinion is a primary marketing strategy a promotion can be great for driving traffic effectively to a specific board. When a link is reposted by a follower the original pinner will receive an e-mail notification with a link stating that one of their followers has repined a post to their board.  Thus grabs the attention of the original pinner right away and includes a link to where the original pin was recently posted. The primary pinner will then be redirected to where the pin has been posted on the followers boards. In order for any of this to work there is the obvious need of interest from new members to visit the page to even take the chance of following the links to a partners website that the pinner is promoting.  

That brings us to following what makes or breaks these types of advertisements. When new members follow a celebrity promoter like Lauren Conrad this gives a promoter the potential to drive traffic to their page and create more awareness for the brand she is currently promoting. Following one another  is done when an e-mail notification is sent with a link to a profile of a member that has decided to follow another. Once two people start following each other their recent activity and pins will be uploaded to the “popular page” to be viewed by all followers.  Immediately this gives a frequent promoter a chance to easily direct followers to the businesses main site thus starting a circulation of products to be seen by millions of members.

Justisse Tourountzas
000264199

31 comments:

  1. Great post Justisse, Ive always heard of pineterest but never really knew what it was. Thanks for sharing this, loved the video as well

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very informative post, thanks Justisse...
    I guess we need to learn Pinterest inside out too..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have heard of Pinterest and thought it was a site just to look for recipes. Because I love to travel, this could be interesting for me to post my adventures and learn about potential travelling spots or cruises from others. Great. Thank you.
    Marianne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marianne,
      I would really recommend it the website has great travel tips for spots may not be listen in any guide books. But if you want to become a member theirs a waiting list that usually takes a little over a week or so to join unless you get an invitation from a current member it can be a shorter process.

      Justisse

      Delete
  4. Just when you think that the web is saturated and there aren't any more creative ideas that haven't been worked to death, out comes Pinterest. Pinterest is great because it appeals to a wide demographic and can be used to share just about everything. From recipes to DIY ideas, to song lyrics, to screenplays - Pinterest has taken off and shows no end in sight. I really liked that you highlighted its' key points, and the importance of graphic appeal. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm obsessed with Pinterest! Its like a fantasy world but yet you can learn so much random stuff from it. It was nice to read your informative blog and learn more about it.
    Good job Justisse!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks guys!
    You really can learn so much from it. I'm probably one of the abusers of the website but im way to obsessed with the health tips and recipes that are constantly updated.
    Not sure if their really is an end to the possibilities pinterests has to offer in the future for marketers especially with rumours of facebook getting the pocket books out to get a share in the action.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Justisse,
    Thanks alot for this post as Ive only ever heard of pinterest but never really knew what it was, so this has almost "forced" me to take the time to look at it, in a good way mind. I have to agree with Mercedes, and just when you think all avenues have been taken along comes the creativity of pinterest. As Im not a user of the site, do you find any difficulties in using the site due to its sheer size and huge number of members when trying to search for something specific.
    Really well written and informative post, nice one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John!
      I don't normally run into to many problems when it comes to their search engine they provide information on pretty much all topics. However the only issue I've herd of users running into is when pinners don't source the new pin they have posted. This is a huge problem for users trying to find the webpage for a recipe or simple a tutorial for more information. Instead of accompanying the new pin with a webpage you receive a error report for the webpage not being found.
      Other then that the website is pretty great and constantly being updated now that Facebook has gotten a piece of the enterprise.

      Delete
    2. Thanks John!
      I don't normally run into to many problems when it comes to their search engine they provide information on pretty much all topics. However the only issue I've herd of users running into is when pinners don't source the new pin they have posted. This is a huge problem for users trying to find the webpage for a recipe or simple a tutorial for more information. Instead of accompanying the new pin with a webpage you receive a error report for the webpage not being found.
      Other then that the website is pretty great and constantly being updated now that Facebook has gotten a piece of the enterprise.

      Delete
  9. I was never very involved on Pinterest until just a little while ago, and I actually had to get my younger sister to show me how to use it. Its an amazing media tool, one which I now appreciate even more, thanks to your post, I learned a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great job Justisse,
    I must admit, I had heard of Pintrest before, and always thought it to be some what of a gimmick and had not even considered exploring it further. After the teacher commenting on this topic and your blog, I must admit there is a shift in paradigm on my part. I can see as a marketer how this could be more effective than twitter (which I find quite boring). I do agree that the picture quality and what the picture is is detrimental to the success rate of the campaign. Thanks for the coles notes version of pintrest!

    Donald

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS I will most likely be creating a pintrest due to this blog!

      Delete
    2. Glad to hear it changed your views a little but good luck with starting an account they have a waiting list!

      Delete
  11. after reading these post i have now realized that Pintrest is not completely useless. the Blog is very informational and i was able to pick up a few things that I would Understand why it could be fun and useful to the user. Great Job Justisse

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great post
    I would have had no idea what pinterest was before reading this blog. I found it very informative and am well aware of what pinterest is. Pinterest can be very effective in sharing different information with a vast majority of people and I think I might just start using it.
    Well Done Justisse

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hadn't read into pinterest before now while reading this blog. I like how you thoroughly described what pinterest was for readers who haven't heard very much about it. By reading this blog i can clearly see why more people are starting to use it.
    Thanks for the post, Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  14. justisse
    I didn't know that there was an option for a pintrest blog. i would have killed this, I am addicted to pintrest. However I was not aware that people can make money off of pintrest. I though that was pretty intresting actually.
    Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Justisse,

    Like the others before me, I too did not know much about Pinterest until reading your blog. Thanks for the informative post; form a personal standpoint I try to stay away from social media sites, but I can definitely see the use of them from a marketers perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello Justisse
    Your post is quite interesting. I dont personally use or like Pinterest. Mind you I have never tried it. But your ideas are well written and thought out. My wife was recently at a QRCA event and Pinterest was the main topic of discussion. The way market researchers are using Pinterest is quite interesting.
    Thanks so much
    David

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hey Justisse,

    I have always heard of people talking about Pinterest but have never bothered to check it out for myself. Thanks for the info, I now have a better understanding of what is consists of.

    Andrew

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hello Justisse,

    I learned a lot from your blog post. Its actually funny because as soon as I read the topic I remembered the day in class when the teacher brought up Pinterest and I had no idea what she was talking about. Since then, which was maybe a month ago I have seen so many of my friends using this site. After reading your blog I think I need to find out what the hype is all about.

    Thanks
    Daniel

    ReplyDelete
  19. I’ve personally never used pinterest. I’m not into the whole blogging thing. I do think it’s a wonderful idea for transactions though. Social networking platforms obviously have a lot in common, but do you think this one will stick around till the next generation, unlike some of the obvious ones that are gone or have failed in the past?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great post Justisse!

    I think I can now confidently say that between your post and Yaprak's post I finally understand what Pinterest actually is.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Nice Job

    Pinterest came outta no where i find and I really didnt no much about it to be honest, but with this post and all the surrounding comments I see how it has gotten so popular. this was very imformative

    Thanks
    Jake

    ReplyDelete
  22. Pinterest is yet another creative outlet, invented for people to express and share their interested. It has grown rapidly just as any other media networking. Great blog, really insights a newcomer on what it really is.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hey Justisse,
    After reading this post, I definitely have a better understanding of what pinterest is. It was a confusing concept but I think I understand it much better now.

    Kellen Cummings

    ReplyDelete
  24. Very well written. I can really see how fast social media is growing after reading this blog.

    Good Job,
    -Joe

    ReplyDelete
  25. I really liked that you highlighted its' key points, and the importance of graphic appeal.This is my first time even knowing what Pinterest is and what its use is for. Great information same for visuals

    Great Blog

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great post! Pinterest is a great way to share pictures socially, I personally have never used Pinterest but after reading your informative post, I may have to try it out soon. It's a great way to promote products and concepts too.
    Huy

    ReplyDelete