Mobile is now bigger than ever, everyone has a cell phone which is why more and more marketers are bringing marketing to mobile. Some major channels that are used in the mobile marketing process are:
- Organic Searches
Organic Searches are what comes up on google which are completely natural and not paid for the advertisement. The adds highlighted at the top are paid for. It is the marketers goal to get their ad to the top of the organic searches but very often companies will pay to get in the Mobile PPC.
- Mobile App Store
A recent survey conducted stated that more people use apps than the web. The reason for this is because they are easier to use. This is very important to know as a marketer because apps can be a huge marketplace. By creating your own app you can gain a ton of user traffic and promote your product. Ex. Starbucks has their app that lets the user buy their coffee right of their phone and when they get to Starbucks they just flash their barcode and get their drink. This app allows the user to gain rewards such as free drinks the more drinks they purchase.
- Text Message Marketing
Some companies will use text messaging in order to text certain deals to their customers. This is not typically used because many customers will start to get annoyed by receiving messages on their personal phone. This can also be used for contests where the user will send a message in order to enter a contest.
Here is an interesting website I found dealing with text message marketing: TXT impact
- QR Codes
QR codes is very quickly emerging as a massive mobile marketing channel. QR codes let the user scan the code on an advertisement and instantly gain content from that ad.
Ex. A magazine will have a QR code on the back allowing the viewer to scan the code in order to sign up for a subscription.
Here is a video summarizing how mobile marketing works:


Great post,
ReplyDeleteI like how you used pictures to help explain each category. Well done, i also liked the video at the end to help further explain what you have already touch on in the post.
Hey Ryan, great blog post.
ReplyDeleteDo you yourself think that QR codes have much life left in them? Marketers have been predicting their demise for a year and they have begun to be replaced by other forms of mobile marketing? I've researched a bit, and discovered an interesting amoung of information about MVS and google goggles, and believe that this may be the next big thing. What do you think? :)
-Mercedes
yes i totally agree, QR codes are rarely used by most people. I just thought it was important to include as it still is a very big aspect of mobile marketing.
DeleteAlright Ryan,
ReplyDeleteReally good post here mate and I didn't realise Starbucks have introduced such an app, a great idea I have to say. I have to agree with Mercedes as Im not overly sold on the QR codes, and I think I've only personally ever scanned between 2 or 3 and I rarely ever see anyone scanning said codes. I feel with such advancements in both phone technology and the developments in wed browsing through a mobile, the QR codes will become outdated and redundant. If you have a smartphone, would you say you use it more than to browse the web more than an actual computer?
Cheers
John
Ryan
ReplyDeleteYou have a great idea towards the text messaging advertising, mobile app stores, which always have banner advertising and then with organic searches through leading search engines. Its all good work, I feel though that the QR codes , especially with business men that are using blackberries still even though with the fall in the shares and profits for BB, I still think that it would be something to push cause it can have so much information sent to your phone in such a short period of time and convenience which can help with brand awareness.
All in all , this post was very informative that you handled very well. great work .
Kellen Cummings
Ryan,
ReplyDeleteGreat post, very informative! I definitely have to agree about using apps rather than the actual website, its so much easier to use! And I have definitely used text messaging to get promotions!
Good work!
Samantha
very interesting.
ReplyDeletethe point about creating an app is so true. the app not only helps to promote the brand, but it also brings the convenience factor to the consumer.
Hey Ryan,
ReplyDeleteYou had some really good ideas and I liked how you broke each one down with the heading it made it easy to follow, also you video was very useful as well.
Hey Ryan.
ReplyDeleteIts definitely true that apps are starting to become more popular. I know I usually do app searches for products or companies that I love. QR codes are awesome and so convenient as well.
Great Job!
Janessa
Hello Ryan
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed reading your post about cell phone marketing and completely agree with your comment "Some companies will use text messaging in order to text certain deals to their customers. This is not typically used because many customers will start to get annoyed by receiving messages on their personal phone." I often get these messages and find them annoying and even unsure if they are spam to get my info or money from myself.
Thanks so much
David
Nice post,
ReplyDeleteIt was great to see how well you used the pictures to help demonstrate and explain each category above. Very informative and clear, good job!
Andrew
Hello Ryan
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed reading your post, as it provided a lot of well organized information. I am sure we will be scanning a lot more QR codes in the near future.
Hey Ryan
ReplyDeleteI am very interested in QR codes i have no idea why but i am. i felt you gave really good information and it was well written.
good work
Elliott
Hello Ryan, I have to agree with Elliott, the information on QR codes did really interest me for some reason. I like that you had many good visuals that made your blog very eye appealing and creative. Great Job.
ReplyDelete- Daniel
Hello Ryan,
ReplyDeleteGreat job on the post. I agree with your point on how there is less resources being put into mobile marketing using text messaging due to the complaints and annoyance of consumers. I myself have received a few text messages from companies regarding promotions and it can get to the point where it is practically spam.
Huy
Hey Ryan,
ReplyDeleteI noticed in your blog you also incorporated QR codes. I always see them, yet i hardly ever see anybody scanning them. How useful are they within marketing? Do they get the point across? Due to the fact that I hardly ever see anybody using them, I begin to doubt the usefulness of them. None the less, it was an informative blog and I enjoyed reading it.
Raffi Kaloustian
Ryan,
ReplyDeleteNice post! I agree with Raffi's comments - I'm aware that QR codes are becoming more prevalent in today's society, but how effective are they?
Thanks for the useful information,
Jordan
Ryan,
ReplyDeleteI like that you highlighted QR codes, although people aren't entirely aware of their usefulness..the employee's within whichever company do - considering it makes their job easier.
Great subheadings and dividing your work up so it flows well.
In my opinion, QR codes are almost dead. They were cool at first, as a fad I believe. Really dislike text message marketing, I’ve personally never used it for anything, even contests. I try not rate items unless it’s dire and an app should not be there. I do get phone call with the sea captain rarely though.
ReplyDeleteGreat Information
ReplyDeleteIs true now a days text message is a way for cell phone marketing to take place. I agree on how there is less resources being put into mobile marketing.
Great Visuals
Really informative blog! There was a lot of great information. I really like the use of QR codes, and I think they are effective. It is something new and i can see a big future use for them in the near future. I found the video useful with your information as well.
ReplyDeleteGreat job Ryan
Great post Ryan.
ReplyDeleteI have heard about QR codes in the past but did not know exactly what they were or how they worked, I am skeptical as to if they will take off.
-Joe
A lot of good content in this post!
ReplyDeleteGood description of each of the channels. Makes it very easy to understand these concepts!
Good Job!
-Tyson
Great post,
ReplyDeletethe content was laid out perfectly, the mobile marketing channels were quite clear and easy to understand.
Thanks
Amber
I agree with tyson it is very easy to understand because it is layed out so well. Great job with all the descriptions and definitions, i always find those help any thing more informative
ReplyDeleteGreat job!
Jake