Tuesday, 16 October 2012








Canada has become one of leading countries in the use of social media. The use of online has been rapidly spreading throughout the country. Age is one of the key aspects for the internet use in Canada. Since the year 2000, using the internet has increased in all ages. Given that children and middle aged users are going to continue using the internet, difference in age are supposed to decline as the year’s progress. Gender use for online in Canada is roughly the same. However, the way males and females use it is different. Males use it more in their leisure time at home and longer hours than women. Women use it for the social aspect to communicate with friends and family. Canadians who were born in Canada use the internet differently as oppose to new Canadians born from other countries. New Canadians mostly use the internet for communicating to their family and friends back at home. Urban areas in Canada participate more in online activities than oppose to the rural areas.

According to Statistics Canada in 2010, 8 out of 10 Canadian Households (79%) had access to the internet. Over one half of connected households used more than one type of device to go online. Also as the two years progressed every province in Canada has increased in the use of the internet. The three provinces that has the highest rates for internet use is British Columbia, Alberta and Ontario.

Many Canadians access going online through their mobile devices, this type was mainly through more experienced internet users as well as the majority is under the age of 35 years old. Online activities are another main reason why Canadians use online software. The three online activities most commonly used in Canada are e-mail, shopping or searching for products, and doing banking. 

Here is a link that demonstrates Canadian statistics for social media.

Carla Pitton
000270572

17 comments:

  1. Hey Carla,
    Good job on your post here, concise and straight to the point which was easy to read. Although the number is still pretty high at 79%, Im surprised that this number wasn't a little higher in 2012 for the number of households with the internet and I'm intrigued to see what this number would be now.
    Nice work once again,
    Cheers
    John

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good work Carla,
    All your points are clearly explained and leave no real room for any questions, good job. To agree with John's point, 79%? I do agree that I would have guessed this number to be significantly higher. Given that the population of Canada is lower than the state of New York and California combined, I would be curious to see how the numbers compare to those two states. I was also surprised to see Alberta being one of the leaders of Internet use in Canada, I would have guessed it be in Quebec due to the central hub of Montreal.

    Overall great job again Carla,
    Donald

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good effort. I was little confused at the start of what i was reading but as I moved further on I was able to pin point certain parts. I was not aware the population of Canada was lower then the New York and California i was shocked when i heard that.
    Good work!
    Elliott

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Carla
    Good job on the blog! I was surprised to see the percentage of Canadians that have use to an online source in their household to be only 79%. I thought that this number would be higher especially with the significant growing technology in today’s society. I would have thought the number would be in the mid 80's in 2010 and reaching about 90% in 2012. You had good source of information and overall i thought you did a great job with this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Carla
    With an aging population, perhaps not as connected I think this statistic is probably right on the money. I like that you didn't overuse statistics, and you kept your points clear. You clearly did alot of research, it's evident in your post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice job,
    Lots of good information that you've provided on this topic as well as some interesting stats that were shocking. I also liked the video, it helped reinforce your information that you've mentioned in your blog, well done.
    Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Carla
    Great blog post, but only 79% of Canadian have internet? I would have guessed that it would be higher. But regardless, internet has defiantly come a long way. even through the way people access the internet. Now a days people have access to the internet literally in the palm of their hand.
    great post

    ReplyDelete
  8. Carla,


    Thanks for all the statistics you provided, it helped reinforce your main message. I think that 80% figure is sure to rise in the near future - it's shocking to think that some people don't have access to the internet at all!

    -Jordan

    ReplyDelete
  9. I enjoyed your use of including statistics, and just like many others i'm surprised too that the number is only 79%though 79% being a high number that it isn't in the mid to high 80s, regardless the internet really has come a long way and reaching 79% is an accomplishment in itself.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Carla
    Very interesting read. I enjoy that sentence"Canada has become one of leading countries in the use of social media." As a Canadian I always enjoy being number 1. Only missing 1 Thing, A title. Otherwise very well done.
    Thanks so much
    David

    ReplyDelete
  11. Social media is so freakin’ huge! The amount of pages with likes and posts. Now they added sharing and hashtags! I read a report where they said that twitter gets out news faster than any other medium or vehicle. Social media is a huge employment killer though, so watch out!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice and concise post. It's interesting to see that only 79% of households have internet access, I honestly would've thought that number to be a lot higher. I guess when you take into account that some people can just steal their neighbours WiFi and not have to pay for their own the number is probably up in the 90s. Good informative post though.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey Carla,
    Great post. I was intrigued by the topic and the statistics really held my attention. Statistics such as, the population of Canada in comparison to New York or the percentage of households that have internet access, really added perspective. Good job!

    Kellen Cummings

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey Carla, Good post.

    I really like the statistics you gave... I couldnt believe that 79% of Canadians have internet, thats a great number for us I'd say.
    -Joe

    ReplyDelete
  15. It was great news reading that Canada is one of the top for using social media even though we are only at 79 percent. Les not forget the use of wifi and how it can be a factor to take into consideration as towards low numbers.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey Carla

    Great post i like to see statistics because it makes me think in more depth of the subject and how it affects us. It shows how the internet has expanded when 80% of Canda has the internet. That has changed so much from even 5 years ago. \More and more people are learning all the positives of this amazing network and using it to their advantage

    Jake

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Carla, very interest statistics on Canada. Over the past decade we can see the growth of internet users and how much a part of life and society the internet is now.
    Huy

    ReplyDelete