Thursday, 25 October 2012

Let's Talk Conversion

Let’s Talk Conversion


In my vocabulary conversion refers to religion or to exchange rates.  This conversion; which is a complex process, is now added to my list.  Taking a lead to a closing sale, conversion completed.  Unfortunately, there is no single, concise definition of Lead Conversion as there are different definitions as needed by the organizations.  As explained in chapter 10, conversion is not a “one size fits all” concept (Zahay).  “Each company should customize its own definition of a conversion, arriving at one that reflects its goals and processes.”  In addition, “There may be multiple conversion points…..Measurable objectives should be established for each team at each stage of the lead generation and management process” (Zahay, Internet Marketing Third Edition).
In simpler terms, one company’s  conversion  such as,  Facebook may be to convert a social media patron to click on a link and provide further contact information.  City Kidz will convert someone to be a volunteer.   Amazon will convert a customer to make a final purchase.  Each organization has different goals and therefore,  have different meanings for conversion.
None the less, we will be discussing the process down the funicular image, from Qualified Lead to Won Deal!

(Images, Google.com)
Four issues marketers must consider when trying to make the conversion process for B2B or B2C customers on their websites as effective as possible include:

Personas

We know what a target market is.  Now we are going to put flesh, bones and a face to the profile of our target audience.  This way the a) needs, b) fears,  and c) aspirations of the customers can be easily addressed.

Purchasing Scenarios

To understand the purchasing process as the funnel strategy in the depiction above shows.  The second being to understand how the customer will use the website to make a purchase.

Designing and Testing Landing Pages

The ease with which a customer experiences the objectives while navigating from start to final goal on a company website.  This will be further explained by David Scheibler on October 31, 2012.

Conversion Paths

Please view the video for a clearer understanding of conversion paths.

As seen in the graph below, visitors take a variety of different paths or clicks through the website. 
The following graphic shows the sample Purchase Conversion Funnel and describes each part of the
graph.

1.   Shows the flow of visitors into the scenario and at which step they
entered the scenario.
2.   Shows visitors who started their visits at this step.
3.   Shows visitors who entered at Step 2.
4.   Shows visitors who went directly from Step 3 to Step 4.
5.   Shows visitors who abandoned at Step 3.
6.   Shows visitors who abandoned the site at this step.
7.   Shows the detours that led the visitor away from the scenario.
8.   Shows movement from step to step (Webtrends).

Conclusion

In conclusion, the marketer must know each step a segment or target audience may take on the website  to reach the final stage, the final purchase.   A further interesting address, “ Learn How to Improve Lead Quality & Increase Conversions” can be found at: 
http://demand.eloqua.com/LP=3296?elqoffer=GGLeadScoring&GoogleCampaign=Lead&sls=PPC_Google_Lead_2012&gclid=COjKrvn0nLMCFe5FMgod5GwAww .        The final question asked is where did the customers go who did not reach the final purchase stage?  This however, will be another topic.

Student Post ,  Let’s Talk Conversion, Developing Internet Marketing Strategies and Programs.

 

Bibliographaphy


n.d. Google Images. 25 Oct 2012. <http://www.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=http://cdn2.business2community.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/b2b-buying-process-lead-scoring.png&imgrefurl=http://www.business2community.com/b2b-perspective/the-blurry-b2b-buying-process-new-b2b-buyer-2-0293868&h=376&w=>.
Images, Google. Google.com. n.d. 25 Oct 2012. <http://www.google.com/imgres?num=10&hl=en&biw=961&bih=554&tbm=isch&tbnid=69ecxCTf34uNRM:&imgrefurl=http://www.business2community.com/b2b-perspective/the-blurry-b2b-buying-process-new-b2b-buyer-2-0293868&docid=3sHOGhHVdbl1tM&imgurl=http://cdn2.business2com>.
Tube, You. n.d. 25 Oct 2012. <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCXcWEq1W_I>.
Webtrends. Webtrands Marketing Lab 2. n.d. 25 Oct 2012. <http://product.webtrends.com/WRC/8.7/ResourceCenter/rc/library/pdf/aug/Tracking_Conversion_and_Abandonment_through_Scenario_Analysis.pdf>.
Zahay, Roberts and. Internet Marketing Third Edition. Mason: South Western, 2013. 274.
Zahay, Roberts and. "Lead Generation and Conversion in B2B Marketing." Zahay, Roberts and. Internet Marketing Third Edition. Mason: South Western, 2013. 283.
 

40 comments:

  1. Hey marianne great post,
    This is a great way to track patterns in your website. For example, you can pinpoint at which point your consumer looses interest or changes decision, at which point you can improve/enhance the experience at this point to encourage higher results! Good explanation and was interesting to read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hello Marianne good job, i really like the way you present your findings. the correlation chat helps lot and even the video helps lot to understand the conversion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shaffy. I was afraid the video may have been to long at six minutes to hold the attention of the viewer. I am glad that it was successful in helping to understand conversion.

      Delete
  3. Marianne, I really appreciated the video, as another aid in helping to understand the concept. You presented it all in a great way and was really easy to understand... Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Jocelyn. I am glad you appreciated the video. This video also helped me in my understanding of conversion.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Marianne. I am embarrassed to say that my concept of conversion was underdeveloped before reading your post. I like how you explained what conversion can mean to different organizations, it really made the subject more clear and gave a much more in depth profile of its importance. The video also further aided in comprehension. Very thorough post! Well Done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is great that your concept of conversion is now better developed. I am happy that the subject is now more clear.

      Delete
  6. I found your post very helpful in understanding conversation. The use of visual really enhanced the post. I think you did a great job!

    Sophia Panicucci

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Sophia. I was reluctant to do the Blog. It was not as difficult as I thought. I have discovered, I learn better through videos.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post Marianne, very informative and a great use of visuals. Good job!

    Dustin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dustin. I am happy to hear that the visuals i chose made a good impact.

      Delete
  9. Job well done Marianne, great use of pictures to effectively explain your points. I quite enjoyed your video as well. Completely helped me understand fully all the elements within conversion.

    Thank you
    Donald

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you Donald. When I was completeing this assignment, I found that Lead Gereration and Conversion were very closely tied together. Each video or article related to both topics. I am happy to hear this video made a distinction between the two.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am now getting a better understanding of the elements within conversion. The video was very useful for me to understand more clearly. Great Job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is amazing how much clearer a good video can help to improve our understanding. Thank you for the good feedback.

      Delete
  12. Great job Marianne
    Wow, the information you provided was exceptional! You did a really great job in describing what conversion can mean to a lot of different companies or organizations. I found the video to be well related to the topic and I think you did an amazing job with your blog post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it amazing to Blog. I was very apprehensive about this assignment, but it was fun. Thank you for the feedback.

      Delete
  13. Great Job on the post Marianne,
    Lots of great information to help me understand Conversion, along with a great video that supports the information you have given us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Brad for your comments. It is good to get positive feedback to reassure myself that I have done the Blog properly.

      Delete
  14. Marianne , great blog !
    Very informative and great use of the video!
    your visuals are add great value to your blog as well. Thank you for adding conversion to my vocabulary as well.
    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you Emilee for comments. I feel good that my Blog was successful. I went to the Tech Bar at the library for help on how to imbed the video into the Blog. The staff at the Tech Bar are great.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great job

    Lots of information it was very informative and the way you broke everything down and the use of visuals you used throughout your blog really added to it and made understanding everything easy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nicholas. I am happy that you liked the way I broke this assignment down for an easier understanding of Conversion.

      Delete
  17. Hello Marianne
    Great post, It was a very interesting read
    I particularly enjoyed your part "Each organization has different goals and therefore, have different meanings for conversion." I find this interesting as I did not take this into consideration before.
    Thanks so much
    David

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nice work!

    I found your blog to be both interesting and very informative! great use of the visuals as it helped give me an even better understanding of the information.

    Thanks!

    Andrew

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad that this blog helped in your understanding of the topic.

      Delete
  19. I disagree that there is no single definition of lead conversion. In my opinion, it’s something that benefits the company. I do like how you presented the information.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The misrepresentation is that lead conversion is very different for each company or organization. After learning about informational sites and transactional sites, you can see how these will differ in their goals.

      Delete
  20. Hello Marianne, Great blog. Lots of visuals that were relevant to the topic. It really did help strengthen your ideas and validate your arguments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes isn't it amazing that we can find so many beneficial videos from YouTube. I am happy you enjoyed my choice.

      Delete
  21. Hey Marianne,
    Your post definitely provides a better understanding of conversion, which was a concept very hard to understand completely. The visuals were also a great aid. Lots of arguments as well. Thank you!

    Kellen Cummings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I have heard some arguements. What would yours be? I am happy you enjoyed my blog.

      Delete
  22. Hey Marianne,
    While reading this I was still kind of confused and did not understand in full. The video added some insight for me and I think it was a great find on your part.
    -Joe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. The video was a great find. Perhaps I can clarrify your confusion if you send my your concerns.

      Delete
  23. Great Info even though it was confusing at first thanks to the video you added it made the content more clear to understand. Overall great Blog lots of great information was shared.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thank you William. I am glad the content is more clear to understand.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Due to the abundance of information on this blog it was a little more difficult to find what I needed but it had great information and will be a great study guide, will probably have to highlight some major content in here. The video helped clear a lot up though in general

    Good Job Marianne

    Jake Floriani

    ReplyDelete
  26. As always Marianne, excelling in everything you do! It was a great read. After examining the visuals and watching the video, it all came together nicely. I am comfortable with Conversions now. Although, I was hoping it had to do with monetary conversions. lol

    Raffi Kaloustian

    ReplyDelete