Wednesday, 3 October 2012

Search Engine Optimization

On & Off Page SEO

On Page SEO

“On page SEO”  is a onetime procedure, the first step is to find the right key words that best suit your website; for example a flower shop in Hamilton might have keywords such as “Hamilton Flower Shop” or “Flower Deliveries in Hamilton”. Some people believe that having many keywords is the way to go, but others would disagree and limit the amount of keywords used for their website. Google will scan your website content based and determine the relevancy of your site to the search query. The more relevant your website is to the search, the greater likelihood it will appear on the first page, but too many keywords will dilute the content. Above all Google algorithms prefers sites with quality, unique content. The best way to determine the most effective keywords for your website can be done by creating a pay per click (PPC) campaign on “Google Adwords”.  By investing money to test keywords you will be able to determine your top converting keywords, and use them for your on-page SEO efforts. Another way to determine top keywords is to use a competitor’s keywords that have been previously tested. The next step is to ensure your website is properly structure for example, updating Meta tags, Meta titles, and other things within the HTML internal coding to make your site preferred by Google.

 

Off Page SEO

“Off page SEO” main purpose is to build links from other websites that direct them to your own. When you make a search, Google will also recognize how many back links direct to your website to determine the relevancy. For example if two Flower shops used the same keywords but one had more website directing towards it then the other, Google will typically notice the site more relevant and rank it higher. All website on the internet are given a page rank (PR) between 0-10. 0 meaning not listed on Google, 5 meaning that it is possible that you will show up on the first page of a search (e.x. Elearn), and 9 being websites such as Youtube and Facebook . A rank of 10 is websites such as Google, CNN, and USA.gov.  Google recognizes these PR back links; they use this to determine the quality of the links directed to your site. Quality is greater than quantity, this meaning that you will receive a higher ranking on a search for having more higher PR links rather than having many lower PR links.

Victor Lopez

20 comments:

  1. Alright Victor, good work mate on the blog as I honestly didn't know any of that information, so I have definitely learnt something new today. Im just wondering if you might know the process for building links from the "off page seo" process please mate. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey John
      Thanks for the comment, as for your question one popular method to build link is that you make a deal with another website that they will put your link on there page and you do the same for there page, and you both make 1 new back link. Another easy way to do it yourself is to find forums related to your topic of your page, and make posts and within the post you can put the link to your site.
      Hope that helps!
      Sorry for the late reply
      Thanks once again.

      Delete
  2. Good job Victor,

    I had never heard of On and Off SEO. Quite informative, thank you for this. I also must admit I would never have known about the PR ranking. I find it quite interesting that key words are not as important as these links. I would have totally imagined things to be the exact opposite.

    Thank you again for a well written informative look on search engines.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Victor,
    I had no idea how this worked but had always wondered why certain websites appear on the first page as opposed to others. Very thorough explanation. Thank you for all of the info!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Victor, it really help us to understand how search results work..

    ReplyDelete
  5. that was very informative. i had heard about SEO. i didn't know about the PR rankings though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pretty well put togheter great information I learn today thanks to this Blog. I never knew about the On and Off page.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Victor
    I never knew or understood the SEO and that there is On page and of page. I was able to pick up somethings from your post but still have some difficulty understanding. Although your blog is very informative. Good Work Keep it up

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great job Victor
    I really like the picture that you used to visually inform how much is done on-page SEO and how much is done off-page SEO. I really like how you incorporated examples as well into your description; I found that it made it really easy to understand.
    Great information and very well done!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Victor.
    Sad to sad my sister worked for Google adwords, and I could not (when she was employed there) for the life of me explain what she actually did on a daily basis. Your post really gave me a great grasp of a concept that is much more complex than even I knew. I know that when I start my own business I'll need a great knowledge of On page and Off page SEO for my business. Thanks for the help in advance, and great blog post.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good job,

    Just like a lot of others I didn't know any of that so the information you provided was able to shine light on it for myself and others as well. I now have an understanding of things such as why websites appear where they do on pages.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Victor,

    Thanks for clarifying this concept to all of us - I too did not know much about this topic. Do you know of any ways to get a higher PR rating, or is it kind of like a popularity contest?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello Victor
    Your post was very insightful as I did not know much about the topic. your comment "The more relevant your website is to the search, the greater likelihood it will appear on the first page, but too many keywords will dilute the content." I found to be the most useful.
    Thanks for the info
    David

    ReplyDelete
  13. At the beginning of this entry, I definitely didn't have much of an idea of how search engine optimization worked and now I do. Great job with your entry, very clear and understandable points!

    Thanks,

    Andrew

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice post Victor, It cleared up what exactly on and off page tactics are, now I can finish the branding assignment. So thanks for that!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Interesting picture, the iceberg. Time, number of clicks, and tags/keyword is a factor on how high you are on search engines. Do you suggest hiring a company for SEO or do you think that a company can do it itself with their programmers.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well I can clearly say after reading this well put together post I will optimize my search results from here on end! For some reason, I always have issues with finding information that I am looking for quickly, I generally have to go threw pages to find the information I need. Looks like all I had to do is put in more relevant keywords in regards to my topic of choice! Thanks for clearing that up Victor!

    Raffi Kaloustian

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello Victor

    great use of imagery comparing the 2 types of SEO's. The examples that you provided with each SEO was very imformative and a great study tool for the future
    Good job

    Jake

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great post Victor.
    Really explains how search engines work.
    -Joe

    ReplyDelete
  19. I enjoyed your post Victor, very informative about the different techniques used in on-site and off-site SEO.
    Huy

    ReplyDelete