Wednesday, 10 October 2012

The Future of Social Media


          Social media can be defined as an interactive platform which allows users to create, share, modify, and discuss content such as text, pictures and web links. It includes, but is not limited to, things such as blogs, social networks, podcasts, and photo and picture-sharing. In 2012 social media became one of the most dominant sources for news updates through platforms like Facebook and Twitter. 

          In such a heavily saturated segment, it is difficult to pinpoint one specific direction social media will travel in the future. If I knew what was going to be the next big thing 12 months from now, 1) I wouldn’t be writing about it, I’d be out there building it, hoping to make Zuckerburg-billions, and 2) I wouldn’t tell you! However, it can be both fun and beneficial from both a personal and business standpoint to speculate.

          If you have any doubt that the future of social media and networking is mobile, consider this: mobile phones are outselling laptops, and more and more people are using their mobile devices for everything. In a recent study, active users spent more time accessing social media sites from their mobile devices than they did on the computer (Mobile vs. Computer Study).
The businesses that are able to create content in order to stay relevant and drive customer interest will be the ones to succeed. It won’t be so much the volume of content as it will be the quality, and the social media distribution strategy of a company will become increasingly more important. The businesses that become the most capable of leveraging and embracing digital tools to build online influence on its market will have the biggest competitive advantage.

          While I’m unable to isolate one specific faucet that will be big in the future, I can say with confidence that the next successful social media platforms will be accessible from a mobile device. From a personal standpoint, my mobile device (and all the social media programs it contains) is the one thing in my life that is almost always within arms reach. 


The following video tosses out a bunch of facts regarding Social Media, and dispels the notion that it is a ‘fad’. Enjoy!


Jordan Brandt

15 comments:

  1. Hello Jordan,

    Good stuff buddy, quite true about the mobility of social media. I like the comment about not knowing what social media is next and that it would be great to know and try and get on it before the rest of the globe picks it up in hopes to make a quick dollar.

    Thanks for the great post and interesting video

    Donald

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree social media is here to stay. I think with the rise of mobile users on social media,I anticipate an increase in the use of geo-tagging making places visited more emphasized to promote business. I know Facebook has the option to tag yourself into a location visited, but what if businesses had capability to tag you through recognition of mobile device. This can help business understand the type of customers and frequency, as well as give them a bragging right.

    Maybe this can be made and I can get some billions of dollars like Zuckerburg.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job Jordan
    I was amazed with all of the facts from the video dealing with social media and the future that social media has to offer. One statistic that stood out was that 50 million tweets are posted daily. if not already, I think that all businesses should be using twitter and have a twitter account as a social media source to get awareness out to the public. If such a significant amount of people tweet, it can be one of the most profitable social media sources in capturing awareness from consumers.
    Great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job Jordan!
    To be honest, my favourite part was the personalization of you saying that if you knew the next big thing you wouldn't be telling us. Honest, earnest, great use of humour.
    Great choice of an informative video as well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jordan,
    Great use of humor.
    great choice of video, 40% increase in 6 months for facebook, that is pretty incredible. But realistically, who knows what is next for social media, it has expanded so much in the last couple years, that its hard to imagine it expand further from here.
    Great blog post though Jordan,

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good job,

    I agree with you that it is difficult to pinpoint one specific direction social media will travel in the future. Social media has changed and grown so much in such a short period of time to say where it will be in the future is almost an impossible task.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Jordan
    I completely agree that no one knows where the future of social media is going or else we would be inventing it to make billions.
    Great read, Well researched.
    Thanks so much
    David

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Jordan,

    Nice job on your entry! Your blog has got me thinking as it hasn't even been 10 years and social media has come such a far way. It honestly is crazy to imagine how social media will progress in the future.

    This is definitely and unpredictable topic.

    Nice job.

    Andrew

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree the future of social media is forever growing and changing. Facebook brought multiple changes and add-ons to engage every type of user. I’m still getting request for games and apps I will never use. Mobile is a huge part of it, but pc usage in my opinion will never go down as it is so much easier to just use that to view and do multiple things at once.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good post Jordan,

    How mobile social media has become and how quickly it happened makes me eager to see what's next. The comment you made about knowing what direction social media will go next could never be more true than now.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good job jordan
    Its quite amazing to see how far social media has came within even the last 5 years. Everything is mobile now the stats about facebook and twitter being accessed more on a phone than a laptop are completely true. It just shows how we need everything to be easily accessed and not waste anytime doing so. Cant even imagine what they come up with in the future.

    Great blog, great oppinions

    Jake

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Jordan,
    The video in this post is actually very interesting. It represents the effect social media has on the globe. It is literally everywhere and growing faster than a virus. It is amazing how interactive consumers are with each other through social media channels. Good job!

    Kellen Cummings

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey Jordan. I enjoyed reading this blog !
    Its crazy to think how quick social media is moving, it feels like almost yesterday I signed up for facebook... When really it was more then five years ago.
    -Joe

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great Video related to the topic and is true Social media is evolving and moving fast and more options are introduce to todays society comparing it to 5 years ago.

    Great visuals

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great post! Very informative and interactive. Social media is continuously evolving with new features and offerings that weren't available a few years ago. Facebook has clearly lead the way in social media and we are now seeing the rise of other very popular social media platforms.
    Huy

    ReplyDelete