The Rise of Social Media Marketing
by Yaprak Onur
Since I will be the first one to talk about social media I
like to start with a definition. Social media has more than a thousand
different definitions but all of them high lights the same couple of points.
First, social media is an instrument of communication which allows and creates
social interaction. Second, social media uses a highly accessible communication
technology meaning the internet. And third, social media not only enables
people to share different formats of information but also it allows people to
see other people’s reactions to that information.
When social media concept first created; it was only used by
youth to stay in touch with each other. Facebook created the biggest change
when it allowed everyone to join; after Facebook more and more people joined to
social networks. (I pinned the current user infographics for you, if interested
click http://pinterest.com/pin/144396731773879508/)
Then social Media was no longer restricted by region, demographic or age, it
involved everyone. And after that it did
not took long for marketers to see the potential of social media. With more and
more companies starting to use social media, new platforms started to emerge and
the social media became a force to be reckoned with for both consumers and the
marketers. Check out the infographic at http://pinterest.com/pin/144396731773879574/
for a brief history of social media.
Marketers saw the potential of social media but they were
limited, at first the companies jointed to social networks just like other
users did, they didn’t have special abilities or pages they do have now but
still they fund social media to be a perfect solution to engage with their
customers and promote their brand. Facebook saw the new trend within the
marketers to use social media as part of their integrated marketing plan and in
November 2007 Facebook introduced Facebook ads as well as brand and business
pages. (More about history of Facebook advertising http://pinterest.com/pin/144396731773880687/)
These new brand and business pages were different than
regular user’s they allowed insights and targeted ads which means that brands
and business got the ability to measure their social media success. Following
that many other social media platforms started to differentiate their corporate
accounts from regular user accounts, also many other facilitator programs and
web pages started to launch for the easier use and analysis of the data for the
social media platforms.
At that point many marketers realize that they can use social
media in many ways such as; Public relations, customer service, loyalty-building,
collaboration, networking, thought-leadership and last but not least customer
acquisition. Now not only 93% of social media users believe a company should
have a presence in social media but also 85% of social media users believe that
a company should go further than just having a presence on social sites and
should also interact with its customers. Because social media democratize
communications, it allows dialogues and consumers want to interact with their
favorite companies or brands.
That was the missing part of the traditional marketing, so
the social media become the solution for a fast, interactive and engaging way
to communicate for companies and brands. (For comparison of traditional media
and social media please see http://pinterest.com/pin/144396731773879561/)
And now many consumers started to make their purchasing
decisions in influence of social media; (Further information http://pinterest.com/pin/144396731773879556/)
the social media become a road map for them therefore increasing number of
companies joining to the social media networks and running different campaigns
in social media.

Hi Yaprak,
ReplyDeleteI have never been on Pinterest before. As a Social Media site this is new to me. I am quite impressed with all the details and facts that you had posted on Pinterest.
Marianne
Thanks Marianne, glad you liked it and found it useful.
ReplyDeleteI agree with Marianne! You clearly put alot of work into this. I feel that I'm a very social media savvy person and even I learned some things from your post. Great job!
ReplyDeleteGreat post Yaprak, I agree with you that Social media is huge now. It has risen so quickly and is now something that people rely on to do business and such. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteRyan
Thanks guys, glad you liked it :)
ReplyDeletevery well written. i have a question for you. what social media sites, do you believe will be the heavy hitters in five years?
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteThanks Tanner.
ReplyDeleteIt is hard to see the social media in 5 years but I believe Facebook will stay on top at for at least 4 or 5 years, Pinterest is growing rapidly so I think it will be one of the tops in 2 or 3 years but it might go down after that. Twitter is huge now and it become a way of getting news it can stay on the top because people are living really fast and tweets are short and quick.
I also think that there might be some new social media sites with capabilities we haven't considered yet in 5 years.
Hope my answer is helpful.
I agree with you on the businesses having to be personal with customers a lot more now then in the past. Its almost like a guaranteed failure if a business doesn't incorporated some form of social media into their advertisements.
ReplyDeleteGreat blog and pins really well written as Tanner said.
Justisse
Such a creative blog post Yaprak! I loved how you were discussing the rise of popularity in social media and to demonstrate examples you pinned links to your blog, clearly showing the power of a social media powerhouse (pinterest) and its' capabilities. You made me think about the power of social media, beyond even the words that you wrote when you used Pinterest to aid for future research. Very thorough in your findings as well.
ReplyDeleteThanks Justisse and Mercedes, I'm glad you fund the post useful.
ReplyDeleteHi Yaprak,
ReplyDeleteFirstly Im going to agree with everyone else here and say thatw as a really interesting, and well written post. I've never been on pinterest before so that was something new for me, and I liked how each set of points were supported with really informative pieces of research. Just one quick question, do you believe there will be a point where soical media becomes far to consuming in everyday life and whats your views on how social media is advancing currently?
Cheers
Hello Yaprak, first off, wow! such a well written post. I've used social media in the past as a marketing tool for bands and music and agree that social media marketing is becoming such an important role for marketers. I have not used pinterest and honestly did not know much about it, after reading what you wrote though I am quite interested and will possibly dabble a bit in this social media and become acquainted with it.
ReplyDeleteAgain, very well written, left me with no questions to ask, everything was laid out quite nicely.
Donald
Hey Yaprak, Fallowing donald's point very well written very impressive. Social Media is becoming the most useful tool in the marketing industry and will continue in the future. Great Job Yaprak Always a Pleasure
ReplyDeleteHi Yaprak
ReplyDeleteYou have provided quite a lot of very useful information, some of which I had no idea on such as pinterest. I have never heard of this before but now I will take some more time use it as a source of viable information
Great job!
Hi Yaprak ,
ReplyDeletevery well written post!
every one of your posts were backed up with viable research information. Great idea of including the links, because clearly half of our class has not been on pintest, and are clearly missing out.
Great post.
Great job,
ReplyDeleteJust like everyone else I agree that this provided lots of great information that was backed up with research. I have never been on pinterest myself before just like many others or really heard much about it for that matter so it was something new for myself to take a look at.
Hello Yaprak
ReplyDeleteVery interesting read. I agree with your comment "Facebook created the biggest change when it allowed everyone to join; after Facebook more and more people joined to social networks. " Facebook was the pioneer of social media. It influences us in more ways then we can tell.
Thanks for the info
David
Very interesting and informative! Your blog has sparked a higher interest in me to explore more social networking sites. Very well researched blog!
ReplyDeleteThanks,
Andrew
Hello Yaprak,
ReplyDeleteGreat blog post, I wish I could have done this topic!! You did a great job and it seemed like it would have been interesting to research as it was very informative and easy to relate to as many people today use social media.
Thanks
Daniel
As a avid social media user, I still had no clue what Pinterest was actually for until reading through your blog post. It seems like it would be a very useful tool for marketers and especially advertisers to show their creative skills off. Good blog post!
ReplyDelete“Public relations, customer service, loyalty-building, collaboration, networking, thought-leadership and last but not least customer acquisition.” I also believe social media marketing is an excellent way to get the attention from other businesses to do B2B transactions or even cross promotions.
ReplyDeleteThis is written very well. I wonder who will be left standing in the years to come. Everyone thought MySpace would be huge but fast forward a few years and we now see that MySpace has fallen off the social media band wagon to say.
ReplyDelete-Joe
Good job
ReplyDeleteThis web blog has made me now relize how many social network sites there actually is! because I had no idea there was so many. This is a great topic and you supplied extensive amount of research that was delivered very well
Jake
This is a great information you have put in your blog. I like the visuals you used and how you mention that at first Marketers have limited resources towards social media, however they fund social media to be a perfect solution to engage with their customers and promote their brand.
ReplyDeleteIntersting Blog
Fantastic post Yaprak! Very informative post showing the rise of social media. Social media marketing has become a very important part of marketing for many companies and businesses and cannot be ignored.
ReplyDeleteHuy