Tuesday, 2 October 2012

Customer Acquisition Strategies


Customer Acquisition Strategies:

Have you ever received a sample of a product, tried it out, and enjoyed it enough that it led you to purchase the product? If the answer is yes, then you have been subject to a successful attempt of the ‘Customer Acquisition Strategy’.  I will admit, I have been subject to this strategy in my life.  When I was younger, I distinctly remember the release of “Sunny D” into the market.  This orange flavored drink made its mark in my life when a sample found its way to my mailbox.  As a young child, finding this drink quite enjoyable led me to everyone else’s mailbox on my street in search for more.  It definitely succeeded in its acquisition strategy in my life; sadly it could not retain it, as I was too young to make the purchases.  I’m sure all of you have a similar story with a different product.  This is just one-way companies search for new customers.  If they released the campaign now, with the use of the Internet, how do you think it would have been applied?
https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEhHly4YZ61RDcvCFSeCUalD01HF1VSgzvNe6GJvnZawQ4laUe4sqdlkPkqQmxLkcDovyqSIV6HoBVm9ScuRWckuaql7BRIK33yB-OGp_88CbwEXCWZrgX3gUqrMuVkBsoLIdyDqw0lYkxM/s400/sunny_d.jpg


With the introduction to the Internet, and the rapid growth it has taken in the past decade, these strategies to acquire new customers have become more creative as well as competitive.  Our textbook gives quite the detailed explanation on various types of these technics, and a quick search on YouTube gives you more videos from experts and those claiming to be experts than you can watch in a week. 
http://www.netelixir.com/images/online_customer_acquisition


So which option should a company use for their product? Social media, Email promotions, online advertising, Search engine marketing, Affiliate programs, Portal deals or viral marketing?  Now if you are reading this blog, you have successfully made it to an academic level of marketing that should tell you the answer to this wonderful question.  It all stems back to the customer! The above diagram illustrates the cycle in which marketers evaluate which strategy to use online. 

It is nearly impossible to encompass and explain every strategy used with Customer Acquisition.  But in a few short words, remember that essentially, it is just a fancy way of saying “How to acquire new customers”. 

So now that you know what it means, feel free to post your own Sunny D story, and looking back on it, how does it make you feel? Be sure to include whether or not the company was also successful in retaining your business over the years.

Thank you,

Donald Porter

20 comments:

  1. The Sunny D sample was an incredible way of applying a customer acquisition strategy, as I also distinctively remember the day they arrived in the mail inside a little cardboard box resembling a refrigerator. Also leading my friends and I to loot our neighbors samples, and since then I have been a loyal Sunny D consumer. I am sorry for anyone who lived on Blackthorne, that did not get to enjoy the Sunny D experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicely written mate and a pretty good Sunny D story there, sadly I can't ever remember that home back home. I feel it's a silly question but would you know what the small, peel back cologne samples you receive sometimes in magazines would be classed as. Whatever this strategy is classed as, I have to say I have made a purchase as a result of smelling one in a magazine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your question John,
    I do believe that it is a form of Customer Acquisition Strategy, just not directed through mail, but a bit more of a clever marketing technic. I imagine those companies try identifying its consumers and trying to segment them into different categories. Then placing them in appropriate magazines that those in their target segment may choose to read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i have only once had a sample in the mail taste so good, i went out and bought a box. i ate the box in about 3 days and had to get another one. after about 5 boxes, i got sick of it. since then i have never had a spoonful of it again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never fell victim to the Sunny D customer acquisition strategy, and my 5 remaining teeth thank me for that.. But I have purchased items after trying out a free sample on many occasions and become a customer for life. I received a Dove soap bar in the mail years ago (although looking back it was most likely not addressed to me) and I have been buying Dove soap ever since. Their more recent ad campaigns for real beauty have only solidified my loyalty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very Informative Blog

    I like how you put your own life experience into the topic. Thanks to your own life experience now I can related to my very own and makes a good relation in terms of “Costumer Acquisition Studies” .I also like how you mention “If they released a campaign now, with the use of the Internet, how do you think it would have been applied?”

    ReplyDelete
  7. John
    Your Blog is very informative
    Thanks for putting your personal experience in Costumer Acquisition Studies. That is probably why it made this topic so much more interesting cause you were able to relate to the topic at hand
    Great work Mate
    Elliott Jones

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey there Donald
    Excellent job with your blog! It was very informative and descriptive. I have definatly been subjected to a customer acquisition strategy when I received a power bar in the mail. I think that I bought that one vector power bar every week for a good month after having tried it.
    Great post Donald!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Donald,

    Effective use of a personal experience in conveying your message! With the internet being as popular as it is, the options marketers have to acquire customers have also grown. If you were to promote a product, which customer acquisition strategy would you personally use?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Donald
    I recieved a sample of Cascade laundry detergent in the mail a few months ago and my wife and I now use that soap for all our laundry.
    Great post thanks for the info
    David

    ReplyDelete
  11. Donald,

    Very nice job with your blog! I found it both interesting and very informative. I loved how you added a personal experience to help back up your research and knowledge.

    Spot on job!!

    Andrew

    ReplyDelete
  12. hello Donald,

    Awesome job on your blog. Content was very informative. and you simplified the complex information nicely. And as Andrew said the personal experience really did make your blog even better.

    Thanks
    Daniel

    ReplyDelete
  13. Donald,

    Nice job relating the blog post topic to a personal experience. I too remember the day the Sunny D came in the mail, it was a great summer. Customer acquisition strategies come in all shapes and sizes and I think the Sunny D strategy is one of my favourites. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good analogy with sunny d, but I’m sure you bugged your parents to buy it for you! Mine was yo yos, only because I broke one every other week. I was retained because I got my mother to buy me one until I lost interest.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good blog,
    I liked how you used a personal example from your life to help us further understand the concept, much appreciated.
    This was a topic i didnt know too much on until now, thanks!

    Brad

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great Blog
    The example of the Sunny D as a personal example really made me understand the concept of customer acquisation. I had no knowledge of this topic but your blog really taught me what is needed to know about customer acquisation
    Good job Donald

    Jake

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hey Donald. Great blog post you've put together. Adding the personal experience I think was a great idea as well, helps us reading it understand a bit more.
    Great job.
    -Joe

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Donald! Great blog post! I liked the tone you set for explaining Customer Acquisition.
    Huy

    ReplyDelete