Oct 31, 2012
What is a Landing Page
During my research, I discovered that a landing page is the
most important
Component of an online
marketing campaign strategy. The Landing page is the first page you
land on (where the title landing page comes from) and are also the pages that
all of your online advertisements direct your websites visitors to.
The main goal of any landing page is to have visitors register
any form of information with your site. The information will be used to track
and record data about your prospects.
Google’s web definition of a landing page is as follows.
Web definitions
“In online marketing a
landing page, sometimes known as a lead capture page, is the page that appears
when a potential customer clicks on an advertisement. The page will usually
display sales copy that is a logical extension of the advertisement or link.”
Insert Video Here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=at_EFa0bO4U
A good example of a landing page that I happened upon is Netflix’s landing page. Netflix’s
business model is heavily reliant on converting visitors into paying
subscribers. They are trying to achieve a signup rate that will have customers
pay them a monthly fee, and the landing page that they use is equipped for
optimal viewer retention.
To be able to tell how successful your landing page is you
need to know the “3
Key Metrics.” These three key metrics are used to measure your conversion
success rate.
The first is your “Conversion Rate” your conversion rate is
best described as the number of visitors to your site that turn into a sale or another
desired outcome.
The second metric is your “homepage abandonment rate”, which
is best described as the number of visitors to your site that end up closing
the page before making a purchase. Numbers for this will often be high as most
visitors will often just like to look around or accidently end up on your site.
The third metric that you need to know about to have a successful landing page
is your “cost per sale.” It is important to understand how much it costs to
make a sale, because it is important to get the advertisement that fits in your
budget and prospected outcome.
Information obtained from
http://www.copyblogger.com/landing-pages/


informative post, i will be looking this over in preparation for the final :P nice work
ReplyDeleteAgreed. Thanks for the study key!
DeleteHi David!
ReplyDeleteI was aware of what a landing page was, previous to reading your blog but I wasn't aware of how integral it is to the online marketing process. Without a landing page, marketers have no gauge for success, and without a well designed landing page they lose the ability to be effective. Great job at highlighting the real importance of knowing how this key feature can work for you.
Alright David,
ReplyDeleteBefore reading your post I recently found out what a landing page was, but after reading your post it has become clear to me just how important they are to a businesses online marketing success. I use to think of a landing page just being one of those unwanted webpages which pop up, only for me to rapidly click it away. But now knowing the true meaning behind a landing page it highlights how vital these pages are and the level of execution involved in producing a highly effective landing page. Good job mate.
Awesome post David!
ReplyDeleteI didn't know a lot about landing pages and how important they are but know I do! Very informative.
good job!
Samantha
what a great post.
ReplyDeletethis helped me understand how valuable landing pages really are.
Well done David
ReplyDeleteI Knew enough about landing pages and how they all work. Now that i read this blog I have more of an understanding of what they are capable of doing for costumer information. great post top nouch
Elliott
Hello David.
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed reading this and learned alot! You did a great job laying everything out which made it easy to follow what you were saying. Agreed this will be great for study prep!
Thanks!
Janessa
Hello David,
ReplyDeleteNice work with your entry, it was very informative! I definitely have a better understanding of landing pages after reading your blog. Great layout too.
Andrew
Hello David
ReplyDeleteGood job on explaining landing pages. Landing pages divide and conquer, by separating the viewer from the other ads once clicked on then given appeals to convert them.
Hello David
ReplyDeleteThis entry was very imformative and easy to understand. grasped the concept with ease and delivered the information in a clean representation
Good job
Jake
Hello David,
ReplyDeleteThe concept of a landing page was always a bit confusing to me but after reading this page, I feel well informed about what a landing page is in real terms. The video is also very informative. Thank you for sharing this post with us. Good job!
Kellen Cummings
Hey David,
ReplyDeleteWell written post, I cannot tell you how many times I have inquired about an online promo and then, get redirected to a landing page that is not found. Extremely frustrating and I seldom fall for any promotion from that company in the future. I agree that this is the most important aspect of an online marketing strategy.
Hey David,
ReplyDeleteI always knew that landing pages were informative and they were there to catch the viewers attention, but I never believed they worked efficiently. After reading your blog in regards to the landing pages, I can comfortably say that landing pages are a great way to catch a consumers attention. It can help them learn more about the product that is being promoted on the landing page, as well as inform them on when it will be available etc.
Great post!
Raffi Kaloustian
David,
ReplyDeleteYour blog touches base on many great points. I found your writing on the 3 metrics used to gauge how successful a landing page is very informative - thanks for clarifying those concepts for me!
-Jordan
Good breakdown. Off the top of my head I can name Netflix, Facebook, and twitter. I noticed that these are the ones that require logins for service to be used. With sites that are not like these I notice a lot that the sign page is a little hard to find or in small font.
ReplyDeleteGreat job on the post,
ReplyDeleteLots of great points on the subject and after not knowing too much about landing pages after reading this post im more informed on the matter.
Thanks!
Brad
Great Blog
ReplyDeletein regards to the landing pages, I agree they are a great way to catch a consumers attention. It can help them learn more about the product that is being promoted on the landing page. I like the video you posted as well great information regarding the topic.
I was unaware as to how key a landing page was for a companies website until reading this post... Interesting
ReplyDelete-Joe
Good post!
ReplyDeleteA lot of good information abount landing pages!
Very important to make sure that companies utilize this concept effectively to make sure their consumers respond the way they want.
-Tyson
Hey Dave!
ReplyDeleteI feel as if most people know what a landing page does, but your article really helped in terms of knowing the difference between a good landing page and a just a normal home page!
Great study points as well!
I fully agree that the landing page is primary for bringing people into your website. From experience in looking at websites and making them people really judge you website as soon as they click on them on its presentation.
ReplyDeleteNice Job
Victor
it is defiantly important to have the landing page as that is where the starting point to bring people to your website is
ReplyDeletesylvia