Monday, 12 November 2012

Do’s and Don’ts of E-Commerce Websites.



Hello Web Marketing Class! Today I will be talking about some of the Do’s and Don’ts of E-Commerce Websites. Content will be taken from sources on the web as well as personal experience as I have helped design an E-Commerce site. To best aid in learning I will be providing examples.

Do: Know your target market. Even if the site has the best functionality it will be useless if you do not have the products or services that are specific to your target market there will be no one using it.

Example: If you have a website that sells clothing there must be the specific brands that are desired.

Do: Make your site easy to navigate. There is a saying among E-commerce community: “The more clicks that a customer has to make before they find and buy what they came for, the less likely they are to finish the sale.

Example: A “Buy Now” on the item page that leads directly to payment processing.

Don’t: Try and do everything at once. Certain goals need to be set on a timely basis or certain things you want to do with your site will not be achieved.

Example: Trying to launch your site while working on a new layout or incorporating new features for a 2.0 version.

Don’t: Neglect your customers.

Example: Taking a week to respond to a customer complaint or resolving a problem.

Upon my search for the do’s and don’ts of an e-commerce site, I came across a two minute video titled The 5 Major Don'ts of Building an Ecommerce Site | Two Minute Tuesdays. Even though the title says the don’ts, there are also do’s in there as well.




I would like to point out the feature image of this blog post at the end of the page. It is a user clicking on “Add to Cart.” The reason this is the feature post is because that is the ultimate goal of an e-commerce site, to have a customer buying from you. Hopefully as long as the customer can afford to.

Thank you very much fellow Web Marketers for taking the time to read and understand my blog post. I look forward to your responses!
                                                                                                     
Featured Picture

21 comments:

  1. I like that you personalized this post by addressing our class and highlighting each examples in a relatable way. The fact that you found a video that was so on topic was also a great effort on your part to really unify your message.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Post!
    I like how you incorporated personal and sourced information. I agree with the do's and don'ts of how to create and maintain a successful e-commerce site, especially with the timely responses to customer complaints or inquiries. I hate when I send a company an e-mail with the intention to purchase the product, but because I did not get a response quick enough I take my business elsewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alright Saiyam,
    I'm going to follow Mercedes and Joel and say good work on a really well presented post, and I thought the personal experiences really highlighted key points and what they look like in real life instances. Good work mate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Saiyam,
    This is a very well presented blog, I like how you integrated a personal experiences into the blog. it helps to explain the dos and don't better.

    Thanks for blogging

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Saiyam
    I really like how you incorporated examples with all of the points you had with you Do's. It made it really easy to grasp the concept in providing examples.
    Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Great job! I loved the unique way you taught us on the blog with the examples... they really helped me understand the point you were trying to get across. The video you found also really reinforced what you were talking about before. Its awesome that you have experience in this area which also makes you very knowledgeable in this area of course.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great job, the video was one of the best yet, it actually had good information. I would also add a "do" in regards to contact information, i hate going on a site and having a question about my order or billing info and having no contact info to go by... ugh frustrating for us online shoppers. good job!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well done,

    I really liked your use of examples along with how you used personal experience into this. I got lots of good information from this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Saiyam
    I agree with your comment "The reason this is the feature post is because that is the ultimate goal of an e-commerce site, to have a customer buying from you. Hopefully as long as the customer can afford to." This is always the end goal for e-commerce.
    Thanks so much for your informative post
    David

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great job in your post, very informative! Especially with the use of the examples. I found that very helpful when reading all the information given.

    Thanks!

    Andrew

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great Job, I agree with this blog post completely. You have done the research to back up your arguments and it really does show. The examples really did help simplify things but kept the points strong.

    Daniel

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great job adding in the personal experiences, it really helps reiterate the fact that e-commerce is so important to so many businesses.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This post is very well written and organized, which makes it easy to read and understand. The video was very informative and this post is something I would refer back to if I ever make my own e-commerce website. Job well done!

    Kellen Cummings

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great blog and incorporating personal experiences. Time is to not be wasted, so I agree that if business via e-commerce is not efficient or quick enough...business is taken else where. Overall taking something is is suppose to be a benefit and will only lose sales.

    ReplyDelete
  15. great job on this post!
    ill be referring to this when i'm studying.
    i completely agree with everything and the video made the blog even better.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I liked this topic. The video was a great add to the post, tied it together nicely.
    -Joe

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great Information

    I like how you related your own experience into the topic. The video gave me great knowledge that is related to the topic. Well written and organized.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hey Saiyam,
    Great post,Great video it tied in great with the subject, very well written.
    -Amber

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great post Saiyam,

    I really enjoyed how you used familiar examples that we could relate to in order to understand this topic. It was definitely a good read, with a great video to tie things together.

    Raffi Kaloustian

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Saiyam! Great work on the do's and don'ts of E-commerce websites. Very informative, many companies and individuals have unsuccessfully launched E-commerce sites due to the fact that they have not followed those simple do's and don'ts.
    Huy

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great job Saiyam,
    definitely some great points to keep in mind! the videos were very interesting!
    Samantha

    ReplyDelete