Monday, 26 November 2012

Mobile Marketing - Who is Doing it Well?

Mobile Marketing - Who is Doing it Well?

When it comes to our everyday lives, there is no denying that we are connected to our mobile devices from the minute we wake up until the minute we set them aside to charge and settle into bed. The mobile future is definitely here and it is looking very much like it is at the center of how people do things and will continue to do things in the future. 

Mobile technology today enables new ways of expressing our existing brand ideas and as well enables marketers to explore new approaches. Marketers must make content exciting for users to actively engage in the content and more importantly, to encourage them to want to interact with the brand on more than one occasion. By satisfying and engaging with customers, company brands have more opportunity than ever before to generate lasting and meaningful relationships.

The video posted below demonstrates multiple prime examples of popular and also effective ways of mobile advertising.



Many brands today aim to demonstrate and launch their mobile ad campaign in hopes of targeting their consumer market in a relate-able way. For example, the 'Estee Lauder' make-up company (shown in the video above) is advertising a new product that wipes away noticeable face wrinkles. They came up with a great idea for their mobile advertisement campaign by including a basic interactive game in their ad which requires the targeted consumer to physically wipe away wrinkles on their mobile touch screen. By doing so, they hope the consumer will then gain the feeling of as though this new wrinkle cover up product will work as easily in real life as it did on their phone. 

There are many different types of mobile marketing ad campaigns but the most common type is the generic ad banners. Below is a basic example of an ad banner that most of us see on a daily basis while browsing our free mobile apps. 



I have highlighted the McDonalds banner ad in the image above as this is a great example of your basic, yet effective, mobile ad banner. McDonalds has chosen to run an ad banner involving their breakfast menu which is a great marketing idea as most people check their weather apps at the beginning (breakfast hours) of each day. 

Many big name companies are aiming to stay up to date and fresh with their mobile ad campaigns. Listed below are a couple of short short video examples of successful company attempts at mobile advertising. 


Starbucks


This video shows the Starbucks Cup Magic app that allows a consumer to send and receive virtual Valentine messages. By scanning one of their limited edition Valentine's Day themed cups, you can then watch your cup 'come to life'. You can also use it to send a Starbucks Card eGift as well. According to Starbucks, there have been over 42 million mobile transactions to date.


McDonalds



McDonald successfully came up with a way to grab the attention of Swedan people with Pick ‘N Play. This game application became a true example of interactive marketing by combining billboard advertisement with mobile marketing. This was a very successful attempt at creating a new and interesting way to attract customers to their restaurants.


After researching mobile marketing, the message is clear. Mobile is here to stay. It has become a norm of society and is leading us to creating a whole world of possibilities, many of which are still unknown and untapped. But with that being said, brands must tread carefully to not bombard their target markets with ads as the very last thing they want is to have their ads viewed as your generic online spam.




Bibliography 

http://www.sonitek.ca/blog/top-mobile-marketing-campaigns-big-brand-mobile-website-apps-campaign-case-study/

www.youtube.com

www.google.ca / google images

http://m.mobilemarketingmagazine.com/mobilemarketing/i/article/think-mobile



Andrew Cicuttini

29 comments:

  1. Alright Andrew,
    Being a little cheap and not having the internet on my phone I dont get subjected to the world of mobile marketing, but your post has opened my eyes to the constant and frankly highly evolved world of mobile marketing. I found the videos really informative, and provided a very good source of backup to the points you discussed. I fully agree there is a world of possibilities to be explored in this area of marketing, its going to be interesting to see what advancements will come next. Good work mate, cheers, John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John,

      Yeah youre one of the lucky ones who isn't subjected to the mobile ads on a consistant basis. Go as long as you can without mobile internet as there is no turning back once you subscribe for it lol.

      Delete
  2. Hello Andrew ,

    As an apple user and with the internet and all the apps that I have I totally agree with the increase in involvement with mobile marketing. It has increased substantially because every, business man, teenager, practically any buddy and anyone has and is subjected to mobile marketing.
    With the technology improving at the speed it is, we as a society will really use our phones or tablets for really anything, which can increase mobile marketing to a higher level .

    Kellen Cummings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea there is no doubt about it! We as a society seem to be becoming more and more dependent on our smart phones and/or tablets.. This is very fortunate for companies as brands are able to capitilize on this to the fullest. I'm very interested at seeing how things will progress in the next few years.

      Delete
  3. great post Andrew!
    I totally agree that mobile marketing is everywhere! especially with the free apps, its all over peoples phone now a days! But I'm not gonna lie, a few of those ads have caught my eye and made me click them so they definitely are working!
    Samantha Della Pietra

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Yea definitely! If people want to go cheap and only stick to the free apps for the majority of the time(like myself), then there really is no chance to avoid being subjected to the thousands and thousands of annoying mobile advertisements out there.

      Delete
  4. i totally agree that mobile marketing is everywhere.
    do you think it is effective though?
    i totally ignore ads on my phone, and i'm sure i'm not the only one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do think it is effective in certain situations. Although I too ignore about 98% of the mobile ads I see.. Sometimes if there is a specific ad that appeals to my interests I will then and only then bother to click. Very rare though!

      Delete
  5. Great post Andrew
    I like watch the videos that was great. mobile marketing is becoming the new way to market things its amazing the amount of time people send on their phones is disgusting. this goes to show this where out world is heading too if not already here.
    great work
    Elliott

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah man no kidding! Some people are completely glued to their phones and companies are beginning to take complete advantage of that.

      Delete
  6. Great post Andrew!
    As you pointed out in your first example, mobile marketing can be at its best when it is very subtle, but still pervasive. I also have seen the Starbucks mobile marketing campaigns over the years, and watched Starbucks use mobile marketing to solidify their position in the market and reestablish their core competencies as a brand. I like how creative and interactive these campaigns are, they really engage the consumer in a way that creates a lasting impression.
    Great research done on a very interesting topic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah when I was doing my research I was fortunate enough to come across the McDonalds interactive app video. I found that one to be the most creative and interesting as it also left me hoping the idea will make its way over to Canada. I wouldn't mind playing 30 seconds of pong for a free McFlurry.

      Delete
  7. Hello Andrew
    your blog has been very informative and interesting. You have taken your time researching your topic and clearly laid out your ideas for the reader. I particulary agree with your comment "brands must tread carefully to not bombard their target markets with ads as the very last thing they want is to have their ads viewed as your generic online spam." this is very important because no one wants to have ad's invade their private phone. If ad's started pooping up in my text messages I would be quite upset.
    Thanks for the info
    David

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea definitely! If things were to really get out of hand in that area I would definitely make that conscious effort to boycott most apps in general. That or reduce myself to paying full price for them..

      Delete
  8. Hey Andrew.
    I totally agree that banner ads are the most common types of ads. They are everywhereeeeee. On every app, website, games. You did such a great job with your posting. Tons of info and very clearly laid out.
    Thanks
    Janessa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!

      Yeah they're definitely unavoidable. To me they have seemed to establish themselves as a natural part of every app.. haha

      Delete
  9. Hey Andrew
    Great blog
    It is completely true about the future being the trend "mobile" there are so many opportunities with the idea of mobility in the world we live in today. I am curious to see if they develop this even more and see if mobile devices continue to improve greatly on our society

    Jake

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah man, I'm looking forward to 10-15 years down the road to see how much smart phones have developed by then. Should be exciting especially because of how far we have come in really only a few short years.

      Example: Iphone 1-5, Samsung Galaxie, etc..

      Delete
    2. that is so true man, such craziness I have no idea what to expect, all I no it will be much better than our technology we have now, which is crazy to think about.
      How can they find better technology??
      They always do, some how...

      Delete
  10. Hi Andrew, great post. Your post has really shed light on the huge potential that mobile marketing has and some great examples of major companies that are taking initiatives in creative marketing using apps and in-app advertising.

    Huy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah my research really got me thinking about how crazy (and scary) the future of mobile marketing can be.. especially because we can't exactly make any accurate predictions. We will just have to sit tight and wait and see. Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  11. Great post Andrew, due to our society being very mobile, it only makes sense that everything is becoming mobile. With the use of smart phones and tablets growing excessively, I can easily agree that it is just starting and will not be going away anytime soon. I am looking forward to seeing the opportunities and the innovative ideas that mobility will have in store for us in the near future. I wouldnt be surprised if we seen holograms incorporated with tablets and mobile devices soon enough.

    Raffi Kaloustian

    ReplyDelete
  12. Andrew,
    I agree with your article and enjoyed the videos you posted. Our generation is becoming very dependable on our smart phone's but you've posted great reasons for it. Anybody, anywhere is pretty much guaranteed that they can do anything off their phone; from buying movie tickets to paying off your hydro bill. It makes sense that everything is becoming mobile considering the high demand people have with their phones, innovations are being made every day just to keep up.

    Well done

    ReplyDelete
  13. Andrew,

    The ways in which companies are engaging us as consumers nowadays is amazing. I was totally unaware of the Starbucks and McDonalds campaigns which you touched based on. Both those are a great idea - I hope something of that sort hits here soon.

    -Jordan

    ReplyDelete
  14. I extremely dislike banners! Every time I’m playing a game or on an app and accidently click it, it takes me away from the app/game. Annoying, as I personally just switch right back.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great job Andrew
    I found this blog very informative and very interesting. I notice that banner ads are indeed everywhere. Once you notice one, then you seem to see them everywhere. I'm not surprised that McDonalds would have a banner ad on an iPhone app. With all the money they have and with such a big name that they carry, McDonalds creates great brand awareness and advertising by putting their ads on banners for apps.
    Really great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Good blog Andrew!
    Your videos tide in well with subjectmatter! good examples!
    -Tyson

    ReplyDelete
  17. I for sure agree that mobile marketing is seen every day by everyone on their mobile devices. I enjoyed the great content you had in this post.
    -Joe

    ReplyDelete
  18. great job andrew, I agree with your blog that we are always on our mobile phones and mobile marketing is used by everyone because we are glued to our phones.
    syl

    ReplyDelete