Website evaluation tools are online services
or software programs that help people and their businesses determine the
performance of a websiteand
if it meets accessibility guidelines.
These programs and services offer assistance with
search engine
optimization (SEO), usability, technology, social media and accessibility
reviews. They help people to better their websites or show people which
websites are credible and a good source to get information off of. The
following websites are examples of both of these:
BDC offers paid help to people on improving their websites. Their
expertise is divided into 4 main sections:
·Search engine optimization (SEO)
Provide a list of keywords
relevant to your industry and analyze your site's ranking on search
engines.
·Usability
Conduct an evaluation of your
site design, ease of navigation and mobile device compatibility.
·Technology
Identify broken links, faulty
coding, browser compatibility and more.
·Social media
Evaluate your presence on the
popular social media platforms.
By getting a website diagnostic and
answering an online questionnaire that allows the BDC technicians to review
your website and give you recommendations, both in an online discussion and
in electronic form.
They also offer information and
communication technology (ICT) diagnostic, internet strategy and system selection
support. Everything to get your website working perfect and be the number
one website searched.
Achecker is a free website that
allows you to search websites and see what areas of the website need improvement,
such as language codes and text issues. You type in the website you want to
review and up come all of the reviews about the website.
The following are 5 easy steps
to help you diagnose a website yourself:
1.Accuracy of Web Documents
Who wrote the page and can
you contact him or her?
What is the purpose of the
document and why was it produced?
Is this person qualified to
write this document?
Accuracy
Make sure author provides
e-mail or a contact address/phone number.
Know the distinction
between author and Webmaster.
2.Authority of Web Documents
Who published the document
and is it separate from the "Webmaster?"
Check the domain of the
document, what institution publishes this document?
Does the publisher list his
or her qualifications?
Authority
What credentials are listed
for the authors)?
Where is the document
published? Check URL domain.
3.Objectivity of Web Documents
What goals/objectives does
this page meet?
How detailed is the
information?
What opinions (if any) are
expressed by the author?
Objectivity
Determine if page is a mask
for advertising; if so information might be biased.
View any Web page as you
would an infomercial on television. Ask yourself: why was this written
and for whom?
4.Currency
of Web Documents
When was it produced?
When was it updated?
How up-to-date are the
links (if any)?
Currency
How many dead links are on
the page?
Are the links current or
updated regularly?
Is the information on the
page outdated?
5.Coverage
of the Web Documents
Are the links (if any)
evaluated and do they complement the documents' themes?
Is it all images or a
balance of text and images?
Is the information
presented cited correctly?
Coverage
If page requires special
software to view the information, how much are you missing if you
don't have the software?
Is it free or is there a
fee to obtain the information?
Is there an option for text
only, or frames, or a suggested browser for better viewing?
Next time you’re checking out a
website to use for research or thinking of making your own, use these
simple website and easy steps to help you evaluate your website.
Hey Sam, That's a very extensive list and something I would of never have thought of to use when looking at a website. Mr Oliver makes a good point, as this will be very handy to use when completing our brand assignment. Cheers
I can assume your brand evaluation is going to go quite smoothly after all the research you have put into this blog. I will be using it as well in completing the assignment and follow your basic steps in more accurately evaluating each website. Quite informative and thank you for the post.
Excellent work! This criteria that you have stated to diagnose a website seems to be extensive and a great way to evaluate a website. There were a lot of points that never crossed my mind dealing with a website that you have mentioned so I found it extremely informative and had a great read!
Great job, I like how you included the 5 easy steps to help us diagnose a website ourselves, it is very useful information. The link you provided for checking the website really opened my eyes to small problems that I didn't even notice on websites. Great post!
Hey Sam, You have really broken down the website tools. You mentioned alot of valid information about evaluating a website. Alot of great information ! Thanks for posting.
Great post Sam, Knowing the expertise that BDC specializes in helps to analyze your own website in future. Any neglect to any of those four areas could be detrimental to any company's website/online presence. Thanks for that info. Should come in handy for the future, and of course for our brand evaluation.:)
wow i didn't know there were so many elements to cover when evaluating a website. Good info tho, i am in the current process of making a website for my dads business, ill be sure to look over these aspects to make sure. There are many things i wouldnt even have thought of like objectivity. Good post, very insightful.
Just like many of our classmates have said good job at breaking down how diagnose a website, it will be good to know for in the future when I need to do this for work.
Hello Samantha I found your post to be quite enjoyable. I will deffinetly look into your guidelines if I have my own website in the future. Thanks so much David
Hey Sam I was not aware there was that many steps to evaluating a website. I felt there was allot of good information about the webpage. great work and well written great job
Hi sam I never knew that it went into such detail to evaluating a website. I enjoyed all the examples you provided because there are so many steps to take into consideration that i was unaware Good job Jake
Hello sam, First I just want to thank you for going into such detail in your post. I feel like I leaned a lot from reading this. I had no idea how Websites were evaluated, but now I feel like I will never look at another website the same way again.
Very good break down. Five easy steps are…very easy! Do you think it’s a good idea to hire a company that professionally does this sort of thing or are the five steps enough to keep your site properly evaluated?
I like how you included the 5 easy steps to help us diagnose a website ourselves. Great Video and Visuals. This information is something that I will use in the future.
I never thought that using a specific or certain website would deal with so much evaulation in regards to content. I mean, to a certain extent I would understand, but that is pretty in depth. You have explained it quite well, thanks for the lesson!
I will definitely be using the evaluation criteria you have listed to help evaluate websites in the future, and for my brand assignment.
ReplyDeleteHey Sam,
ReplyDeleteThat's a very extensive list and something I would of never have thought of to use when looking at a website. Mr Oliver makes a good point, as this will be very handy to use when completing our brand assignment.
Cheers
Well done Sam,
ReplyDeleteI can assume your brand evaluation is going to go quite smoothly after all the research you have put into this blog. I will be using it as well in completing the assignment and follow your basic steps in more accurately evaluating each website. Quite informative and thank you for the post.
Excellent work!
ReplyDeleteThis criteria that you have stated to diagnose a website seems to be extensive and a great way to evaluate a website. There were a lot of points that never crossed my mind dealing with a website that you have mentioned so I found it extremely informative and had a great read!
Great job, I like how you included the 5 easy steps to help us diagnose a website ourselves, it is very useful information. The link you provided for checking the website really opened my eyes to small problems that I didn't even notice on websites.
ReplyDeleteGreat post!
well done sam, i never thought like this using a website but now i understand, i like the links and that video u use.
ReplyDeleteHey Sam,
ReplyDeleteYou have really broken down the website tools. You mentioned alot of valid information about evaluating a website. Alot of great information !
Thanks for posting.
Great post Sam,
ReplyDeleteKnowing the expertise that BDC specializes in helps to analyze your own website in future. Any neglect to any of those four areas could be detrimental to any company's website/online presence. Thanks for that info. Should come in handy for the future, and of course for our brand evaluation.:)
wow i didn't know there were so many elements to cover when evaluating a website. Good info tho, i am in the current process of making a website for my dads business, ill be sure to look over these aspects to make sure. There are many things i wouldnt even have thought of like objectivity. Good post, very insightful.
ReplyDeletethis blog really covers everything a website needs. all the things a business really needs to do, to gain attention of the consumer.
ReplyDeleteJust like many of our classmates have said good job at breaking down how diagnose a website, it will be good to know for in the future when I need to do this for work.
ReplyDeleteHello Samantha
ReplyDeleteI found your post to be quite enjoyable. I will deffinetly look into your guidelines if I have my own website in the future.
Thanks so much
David
Hey Samantha,
ReplyDeleteYour entry was a real eye opener. I definitely had no idea how much there really was to evaluating a webpage.
Very informative!
Andrew
Hey Sam
ReplyDeleteI was not aware there was that many steps to evaluating a website. I felt there was allot of good information about the webpage. great work and well written great job
Elliott Jones
Hi sam
ReplyDeleteI never knew that it went into such detail to evaluating a website. I enjoyed all the examples you provided because there are so many steps to take into consideration that i was unaware
Good job
Jake
Hello sam,
ReplyDeleteFirst I just want to thank you for going into such detail in your post. I feel like I leaned a lot from reading this. I had no idea how Websites were evaluated, but now I feel like I will never look at another website the same way again.
Thanks
Daniel
Nice post, I like that way the evaluation tools were broken down. I have a feeling that I will be viewing websites differently from now on.
ReplyDeleteHey Sam,
ReplyDeleteYour post was very informative and helpful. It outlined many key points - some of which I was able to incorporate into my brand evaluation assignment!
Thank you for the well-written blog post.
-Jordan
Very good break down. Five easy steps are…very easy! Do you think it’s a good idea to hire a company that professionally does this sort of thing or are the five steps enough to keep your site properly evaluated?
ReplyDeleteGood Info Use
ReplyDeleteI like how you included the 5 easy steps to help us diagnose a website ourselves. Great Video and Visuals. This information is something that I will use in the future.
Thank You
This has given me a different look on websites, I think I'll notice stuff I previously didnt.
ReplyDeleteGood post, Good content
-Joe
Great Post!
ReplyDeleteReally good breakdown of topics!
Good videos and visuals.
-Tyson
I never thought that using a specific or certain website would deal with so much evaulation in regards to content. I mean, to a certain extent I would understand, but that is pretty in depth. You have explained it quite well, thanks for the lesson!
ReplyDelete-Raffi Kaloustian